Lytle Creek - Trail to Buck Point?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Does anyone know if it's possible to reach Buck Point (or Etiwanda) by hiking up the South Fork of Lytle Creek? There's a trail shown on the topo but I can't find any info on the Internet and am concerned it may be impassable due to a headwall and/or landslides at the end of Lytle Creek.

-Rick
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Is this the same route described in the Sierra Club write up (Route 2)?
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Admittedly it would be easier to reach Buck Pt by vehicle using the 4wd dirt road but I would rather hike up Lytle Creek if it's possible.

-Rick
Travis

Post by Travis »

It looks like it would be an interesting hike. I also want to hike Cucamonga from the south via Deer Canyon, which is in the same area. Here is the Topo map. There is also a route on Summitpost.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

According to Brennan's website on South Lytle Creek
http://www.dankat.com/advents/sthlyt.htm
, which basically says its not going to happen.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

That's what I was looking at. Now just because you "can" rappel at the headwall doesn't mean it's mandatory. There could be a use trail around it or some sort of bypass.

What I was hoping to do was to hike up the So Fork of Lytle Creek and then descend down via Bonita Canyon (with some nice rappells).

-Rick
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I agree with you 100% Rick, especially considering the terrain...check out this trip report though...

http://angeles.sierraclub.org/hps/archives/hps00919.htm

Not that it cant be done on the south side...... I much prefer going downhill myself :D
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Thanks AW. That's the kind of info I was looking for and what I was afraid of. Looks like that route isn't going to work. Dang!

-Rick
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

This might not be quite as exciting as the South Fork of Lytle Creek, but there are the remains of a trail (still sort of passable* as of a year ago) up the Middle Fork of Lytle. You hit Icehouse Saddle from the East and then take the conventional route from the saddle to the top.

Then you can have your "fun" going down hill by whichever route you choose. Happy "rapping."

HJ

*The trail overall is not in bad shape, but there are two significant wash outs before you reach Comanche Trail Camp. You can scramble uphill around them on a very loose gravelly use trail. Not for beginners, but if you can do canyoneering and rapping, then it should be a piece of cake for you. Comanche is a lovely spot by the way. Good water there last October.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Travis, I have multiple routes up Cucamonga from the south planned for this winter, if things materialize.

I hope to park around 34°11'33.86"N 117°35'35.76"W (got it from Google Earth). Map says road is closed MARCH 1 to Labor Day. Anyone been on this road lately?

I may have missed something skipping over what I read.