Baldy via Ski Hut trail, 30-Aug-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Took some friends up this classic hike. Most of them are not avid hikers, so this was pretty tough for them. I tell people that Mt. Baldy is a place that either you really love or you really hate. People will either come back again and again or they will never come back. Everyone made it to the top but the girls were pretty miserable by the time we got down. I don't think they'll ever come back :(

Anyhow, nothing too unusual to report. The Ski Hut was open and the roof is finished. They did a great job with the metal roof, which should last a long time. The stream is still flowing pretty well. Really nice, cool weather with partly cloudy skies up until about 10am. Then by around 1pm, more clouds came in and by 3:30pm there were some sprinkles. Not too many people on the trails today (for a Baldy Saturday). Saw more trail runners than usual, probably training for the Monday race. A civilian A-Star helicopter buzzed the summit, flying west to east, level with the summit and a few hundred feet north of it.

On the way down the ridge from the summit, we met a crazy old trail runner dude who accosted us for using trekking poles. He went on a long speech about how they were bad for us and kept saying, "Sticks! Sticks! You children don't need sticks! Your legs will get lazy if you children use those sticks!" I thought it was insulting to call us children so I stayed behind and argued with him for a bit :lol:

No pixs since Baldy looks the same as last time.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Tim wrote:No pixs since Baldy looks the same as last time.
Whew! :D

That's hilarious...striking up an argument on the trail about sticks. What's next...wearing shoes make you weak! Kids! Cut your hair, get a job!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Tim wrote: I thought it was insulting to call us children so I stayed behind and argued with him for a bit :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Tim, That's funny! Did you point out how skinny his arms were? :lol: I would have done the same thing!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You shoulda told him how inferior running is compared to violating the law and riding a dirtbike to the summit. 8)

That's what I woulda done.