quick trip to lone pine..........i mean quick

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

sometimes things just dont work out.......this is one of those times...

after work friday i had plans to go on a solo mission to climb whitney.
maybe spend a couple of nights on the mountain or surrounding area
at the last minute my daughters mom got very sick so i had two choices
cancel my trip or take my daughter and do cirque peak instead...camp one night at long lake and another night at chicken spring lake...sounded do-able so we packed up and took off..the drive from la to lone pine is quick...on the way i passed a bunch of spots i want to check out....like vasquez rocks and red rock park and kennedy meadows..we got to lone pine at about 1045am.

a bunch of people were waiting for the main trail lotteryat 11..
we got out permit for the hike and took off to horseshoe meadows
the drive was awesome.one of my favorite mountain roads so far.
we seen some guys hang gliding....they got some balls to run and jump off

we parked and got ready to walk.things were perfect and i was feeling good.real good.i have wanted to be up here for so long.i couldnt wait to get dark so i could trip on all the stars.it was going to be a fun trip

we took the same picture every one takes and then we were off

it was a warm day.it was 12pm and i was where i wanted to be.
i had my daughter with me and for the next two nights i didnt have a single thing to do.we walked for about an hour or so.my daughter was unusually quiet..she sat down on a rock and asked to take a break.
then she vomited and said her ear hurt.her eyes were glassy and she looked like her sick mom.she went from happy and bouncy to sick in about 5 minutes...i had two choices..one was to pretend i didnt notice and
make her suffer on the trip.[what i really wanted to do] or just go home
and let her relax in a more comfortable enviorment [not what i wanted to do].....at 11000 feet she was going to be miserable at night..i couldnt be a dick so we did a 180 and walked back to the car and left...i felt like crying

the alabama hills are awesome..i would drive back just to play there.

we said our good byes to this wonderful place..and headed back to
smog central.one good thing about the trip is that is is comforting
to know that 3 1/2 hours drive away is paradise...

like coming down from a high it is very unpleasant when you return to the city.its amazing how much influence and power the mountains hold..
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Glad to see you got out to a beautiful place, but too bad your cute little daughter got sick. Did it turn out to be the same thing her mother has or was it linked to altitude?
It's really neat that you & your daughter enjoy the mountains & camping together. That's great bonding at her age.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

no it wasnt altitude..if it was i would have stayed anywhere at a lower elevation.on the way up she was coughing a lil bit but nothing major.
as much as i hated to leave im glad we did..at home all night she had fever and earache and just felt bad....if we would have been up high she
would have had a rough night....being a dad hiker aint easy.