BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

calicokid wrote:And for the lady, the record is even head-shaking:
Women time: 1:15:32 Carrie Garritson (Age 11) 1988
That girl's record is only 15 minute behind the man's record
The time is definitely impressive for an 11 year old, but women's running records are generally a lot closer to men's than 24%! For example, the women's marathon record is only 8.8% slower than the men's.

Comment added later: The women's record for the Pikes Peak Marathon is 30% slower than the men's, so large disparities are not unheard-of.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AlanK wrote:
The time is definitely impressive for an 11 year old, but women's running records are generally a lot closer to men's than 24%! For example, the women's marathon record is only 8.8% slower than the men's.

Comment added later: The women's record for the Pikes Peak Marathon is 30% slower than the men's, so large disparities are not unheard-of.
I wonder if greater disparities are more common at altitude. I've heard that men (and I have absolutely nothing to back this assertion up) generally handle altitude slightly better than women.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
AlanK wrote:

I wonder if greater disparities are more common at altitude. I've heard that men (and I have absolutely nothing to back this assertion up) generally handle altitude slightly better than women.
I'm thinking it's because Men were the hunters and are used to running around up in the mountains. Well it makes sense to me!

I bet that girl was skinner than Eric.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Widen the trail a bit and I'll race to the top in my car. I could finally have a chance at winning at something. :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

TacoDelRio wrote:Widen the trail a bit and I'll race to the top in my car. I could finally have a chance at winning at something. :lol:
BahHhhHhhhhhhhahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

Does anyone know when Manker Flats Campground closes?

we have a pop up tent trailer and the NF website says that they accept trailers up to 24 ft long.

we were thinking (once it snows) to take it up and Ski Mt Baldy and Big Butch Wash and so forth, but the website doesnt state "open all year" it just states that it's open right now.

is there a gate at the entrance?
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

you can spend the night at manker anytime of the year.....
the gates dont close...[ive never seen em close]

in winter when there is snow it gets crowded with people snow-playing

i have spend many a cold night there...the wind hurts it gets so cold
but its beautiful and fresh.....my daughter woke up with a black nose
one morning..i thought she had frost bite...it was dirt haha

baldy during winter always seems to kick rocks loose
watch out.........have fun.........

have you ever consider just spending a few extra bucks and staying at the lodge
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

THere is a gate there, but I believe I've seen it open in winter.

Using Big Butch Wash to go back down is perfect, as it'll drop you right back down into Wanker Flat.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

is the harwood lodge $6 a night a person? thats stuck in my head for some reason
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

man, I'm now thinking getting under 2 hrs would be a goal. 1:40 might be pushing it for me.

In theory (aka simulated run on treadmill), I could do this in 1hr 20min. Now, adding the fact that the terrain is more unstable, and the altitude, that number will increase significantly. I guess its impossible to estimate how much until I actually run it.

I guess my evaluation of how I did will be to compare myself to other racers of similar build.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

oh, and does anyone know exactly where the race starts? I know around Manker Flats, but does it start further down the road to get the added mileage?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:oh, and does anyone know exactly where the race starts? I know around Manker Flats, but does it start further down the road to get the added mileage?
check around in there.
http://www.run2top.com/index.lasso

Look at the slide show and put your mouse on the picture of the starting line. It stops it and now see if you can figure out where it is. I don't know where that sign is. anyone? anyone? I can't tell. I was trying to look at the shadows of the trees and and that structure to get a hint.
I do know that dalmatians always face east when at starting lines. ohio is goin down bro. hard
http://www.shopbaldy.com/summer/index.lasso
Maxwell's Demon

Post by Maxwell's Demon »

It starts further up the road and begins with downhill on asphalt, then makes a sharp right turn.
Augie

Post by Augie »

JMunaretto wrote:oh, and does anyone know exactly where the race starts? I know around Manker Flats, but does it start further down the road to get the added mileage?
It starts at the ski lift parking lot. It's downhill for about 1/4 mile to the white gate at Manker Flat. Your friends and family can ride the lift up (for a fee) to the notch to see you whiz by there (the 4 mile mark in the race, although far from half-way in the effort yet to expend!). See you all there.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:
It starts at the ski lift parking lot. It's downhill for about 1/4 mile to the white gate at Manker Flat. Your friends and family can ride the lift up (for a fee) to the notch to see you whiz by there (the 4 mile mark in the race, although far from half-way in the effort yet to expend!). See you all there.
Good luck Augie! Maybe you should camp out on top of baldy for a few days to get used to the elevation. Might not seem worth it now but once you get past Mount Harwood I bet you wish you had. :D
Augie

Post by Augie »

FIGHT ON wrote: Good luck Augie! Maybe you should camp out on top of baldy for a few days to get used to the elevation. Might not seem worth it now but once you get past Mount Harwood I bet you wish you had. :D
Thanks for the tip FIGHT ON. GO BRUINS!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

are there any camping regulations around Manker Flats? Can I just sleep in my car overnight, would anyone care?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:are there any camping regulations around Manker Flats? Can I just sleep in my car overnight, would anyone care?

Mt. Baldy Visitor Center
Mt. Baldy Road
Mt. Baldy, CA 91759
(909) 982-2829
Daily 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Augie

Post by Augie »

JMunaretto wrote:are there any camping regulations around Manker Flats? Can I just sleep in my car overnight, would anyone care?
I've done that several times. Never been bothered. Pretty good idea if you're coming from far. By 7 am, the ski lift parking lot is getting pretty full although there's always plenty of parking.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

great.

well if anyone wants to meet each other at some point, i'll probably have some odd outfit on. short red shorts, blue tank top, high blue socks.

good luck!
Augie

Post by Augie »

JMunaretto wrote:great.

well if anyone wants to meet each other at some point, i'll probably have some odd outfit on. short red shorts, blue tank top, high blue socks.

good luck!
I'll look for you then.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Well, it was a great race. Beautiful weather. Had a little breeze that cleared out San Antonio Canyon. It was crystal clear on both sides of Devil's Backbone. The temp was mild throughout. Couldn't ask for better running conditions.

This year, unlike last year when I stopped a dozen times or so along the route to take photos for a TR I did for SummitPost about the run, I had a decent time, 1 hour, 38 minutes.

FIGHT ON I have a further comment on your questions about where it's best to train for this race. The first 4 miles today --to the Notch-- seemed easy compared with the training runs I did in Bailey Canyon and on the Mt. Wilson Trail. Those latter two trails are much, much steeper, for the distance, than the fire road up to the Notch. Had I just done training runs to the Notch, I wouldn't have benefitted nearly as much as I did from the Bailey and Wilson trails. Now, if you trained from the Notch to the summit, it would be a different story because those sections are steeper than the utillity road.

I'm getting long-winded. Anyway, I reached the Notch in a comfortable 38 minutes and took a 3-minute break there to eat a couple of banana halves, drink up, and fill up the 1/2 liter bottle I was carrying in my hand.

From the Notch it took me an hour to the finish.

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYBODY! HIKEUP, I'm sure you're as excited as I am about the big tussle at the Rose Bowl this afternoon. I must say, good job Trojans against Virginia. Sept. 13 should be an awesome game.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Nice job Augie!

I ended up at 1hr 32 mins. I made it up to the notch at 41 min, a bit angrily because I stupidly took the wrong fire road initially, and had to turn around after about a min up. So I lost a few mins there and wanted to make the notch in 40 min.

I must have seen you at or around the Notch...and I had long blue socks on!

I felt like I couldn't maintain as high of intensity on the backbone due to the altitude and just rode long behind others. I was waiting to make a final push, and was using my altimeter to measure how far I was from the summit, and I overestimated. (I have never hiked up the backbone, only down, so I didn't know for sure). I made a huge push for the last 30 s or so passing up 8 or so people, but could have started earlier. Great race!

Oh and I took some pictures along the way, will have to upload those today.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Joseph,

Terrific time! Did you sleep over at the trailhead? Well, now you know the course; next year, you can start your final push sooner and knock some minutes off your excellent time.

Did you turn left instead of right at that junction before the Notch when you went off course? When I passed that junction they had monitors there.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:Well, it was a great race. Beautiful weather. Had a little breeze that cleared out San Antonio Canyon. It was crystal clear on both sides of Devil's Backbone. The temp was mild throughout. Couldn't ask for better running conditions.

This year, unlike last year when I stopped a dozen times or so along the route to take photos for a TR I did for SummitPost about the run, I had a decent time, 1 hour, 38 minutes.

FIGHT ON I have a further comment on your questions about where it's best to train for this race. The first 4 miles today --to the Notch-- seemed easy compared with the training runs I did in Bailey Canyon and on the Mt. Wilson Trail. Those latter two trails are much, much steeper, for the distance, than the fire road up to the Notch. Had I just done training runs to the Notch, I wouldn't have benefitted nearly as much as I did from the Bailey and Wilson trails. Now, if you trained from the Notch to the summit, it would be a different story because those sections are steeper than the utillity road.

I'm getting long-winded. Anyway, I reached the Notch in a comfortable 38 minutes and took a 3-minute break there to eat a couple of banana halves, drink up, and fill up the 1/2 liter bottle I was carrying in my hand.

From the Notch it took me an hour to the finish.

HAPPY LABOR DAY EVERYBODY! HIKEUP, I'm sure you're as excited as I am about the big tussle at the Rose Bowl this afternoon. I must say, good job Trojans against Virginia. Sept. 13 should be an awesome game.
PRETTY FAST! How many miles exactly? What were you carrying? Why are you carrying a bottle? doesn't that mess up your arm swing rhythm?
Wouldn't it be better to wear a bladder mini pack? Imagine using your arms mo betta! What is it the extra weight? I read a post by Rick Kent and on one of his hikes he left his cell phone because of the weight! :roll: :lol:
Too bad you're a bruin. I guess somebodys got to be. :roll: Can't wait to see those white and orange squares!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

JMunaretto wrote:Nice job Augie!

I ended up at 1hr 32 mins. I made it up to the notch at 41 min, a bit angrily because I stupidly took the wrong fire road initially, and had to turn around after about a min up. So I lost a few mins there and wanted to make the notch in 40 min.

I must have seen you at or around the Notch...and I had long blue socks on!

I felt like I couldn't maintain as high of intensity on the backbone due to the altitude and just rode long behind others. I was waiting to make a final push, and was using my altimeter to measure how far I was from the summit, and I overestimated. (I have never hiked up the backbone, only down, so I didn't know for sure). I made a huge push for the last 30 s or so passing up 8 or so people, but could have started earlier. Great race!

Oh and I took some pictures along the way, will have to upload those today.
Way to go J man!
How could you go the wrong way? what is that? :roll: Were you leading the whole pack? (did you think of that 11 year old girl :lol:) So what is that about 6mph? :shock: Man you shoulda hiked up there on friday like I said and got familiar with the route and slept up there. Three days to acclimate.
Woulda not got lost, (2 minutes) acclimated (5 minutes) route familiarity (5 minutes) and if you add those minutes up and subtract them from your time.
YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE ENOUGH TO MAKE VISUAL CONTACT WITH THAT IMAGINARY 11 YEAR OLD GIRL! THEN WHAT WOULD YOU DO? :lol: :lol:
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Augie wrote:FIGHT ON I have a further comment on your questions about where it's best to train for this race. The first 4 miles today --to the Notch-- seemed easy compared with the training runs I did in Bailey Canyon and on the Mt. Wilson Trail. Those latter two trails are much, much steeper, for the distance, than the fire road up to the Notch. Had I just done training runs to the Notch, I wouldn't have benefitted nearly as much as I did from the Bailey and Wilson trails. Now, if you trained from the Notch to the summit, it would be a different story because those sections are steeper than the utillity road.
That makes sense. I guess I was saying if you took the last four miles of Baldy,
ok Take the whole trail from notch to the summit and stick it down at Bailey trail head.
So everything is exactly the same except the elevation difference. How much of a difference would it make in the race if you trained only at either place?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Augie wrote:Joseph,

Terrific time! Did you sleep over at the trailhead? Well, now you know the course; next year, you can start your final push sooner and knock some minutes off your excellent time.

Did you turn left instead of right at that junction before the Notch when you went off course? When I passed that junction they had monitors there.
Thanks. Yes I did sleep over night, you can see my humble abode in my pics here

I think it helped my not get a headache at the least, so I was glad I did it.

As for the junction, there were 2 people standing there who I said hi to, and they did not say anything when I turned the wrong way. Maybe they didn't like the blue socks :(
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

FIGHT ON wrote: Way to go J man!
How could you go the wrong way? what is that? :roll: Were you leading the whole pack? (did you think of that 11 year old girl :lol:) So what is that about 6mph? :shock: Man you shoulda hiked up there on friday like I said and got familiar with the route and slept up there. Three days to acclimate.
Woulda not got lost, (2 minutes) acclimated (5 minutes) route familiarity (5 minutes) and if you add those minutes up and subtract them from your time.
YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN CLOSE ENOUGH TO MAKE VISUAL CONTACT WITH THAT IMAGINARY 11 YEAR OLD GIRL! THEN WHAT WOULD YOU DO? :lol: :lol:
Well hiking the trail before wouldn't have stopped me from going the wrong way. Both fire roads link up to Baldy Notch, and the one I took was the one I have taken down before when heading down from Baldy. I never knew where the other one (the right one) went before.

I wasn't leading the whole pack :shock: , but there was a good bit of distance between me and whoever was in front of me, I didn't pay attention to where they went. At least it wasn't a huge loss!