Bridge Fire

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
dima

Post by dima »

Old RV park at Cow Canyon saddle probably burned. And Thompson Ranch. Iron Fork below where the two forks split burned; above, it did not.
dima

Post by dima »

East Fork rd and GMR (both sides) are fine, except the teeny bit at their junction at Cattle Cyn. Most of GRR very burned.
dima

Post by dima »

Here's the sensed burn map all by itself:
false.png
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rattlesnake and Iron are the 2 most "remote" peaks...will this ease the way?

My time up Rattlesnake in Dec 2008, the brush was thick but the trail was clear - I assume someone had brushed the trail at some point that year. I can envision a very difficult trudge otherwise. Now maybe it will be a cinch.

Looking south from near Rattlesnake Peak...do you see a trail? There was one, but???

IMG_2306.jpg
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

How many years do you suppose Rattlesnake will be closed off?

The over-under in Vegas is a decade.

Station Fire redux.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I climbed Rattlesnake, I think in 2015. Not sure if I did a TR anyways it was pretty clear. Not easy but a good steep climb with a few poodle dog bushes at the top.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

It's been four years since the Bobcat Fire and everything has reopened except for Chantry, which reopens this October. So, my guess for the Bridge Fire area is three or four years, with Baldy and Mtn. High ski zones reopening sooner. Even after the Station Fire, areas were reopened within a few years, like the Strawberry Peak Trail. But so many trails were affected that it took many more years for crews to fix the pathways. In fact we still haven't finished restoring them all. It's different for trails in the high country, they rely more on sawyer crews clearing the dead trees, and less on trail crews fixing tread and clearing brush.
nihaody

Post by nihaody »

dima wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 3:45 pm Old RV park at Cow Canyon saddle probably burned. And Thompson Ranch. Iron Fork below where the two forks split burned; above, it did not.
https://recovery.lacounty.gov/bridgefire/

Looks like the RV park and its water tower burned and / or were damaged. Several structures at Thompson. It appears they're actively doing assessments (e.g. Thompson Ranch structures weren't on here initially) so I would expect more dots to pop up through the canyon.
a runner whom renown outran
dima

Post by dima »

That is a VERY good link. Thanks. The remaining question mark is Widman Ranch, which isn't on that map (yet?) It's in a wider part of the canyon, so maybe it survived. If they're all gone, upper Coldwater Canyon becomes accessible, which would be excellent.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

NewsPlus article by Don Fish Jr., who drove through Wrightwood yesterday. He gives a survey and provides photos.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Here's an LA Times article detailing all the trails that burned. I was able to read it via a FB link but you might need a subscription via normal browsers. Looks like Vincent Gap to Baden-Powell survived but the mine burned. Grassy Hollow visitor center burned, and the PCT along the Blue Ridge burned. I'm guessing we lost Blue Ridge and Guffy campgrounds, maybe Lupine too, which is a shame. The East Fork, of course, is pretty much toast to the Bridge to Nowhere.