Where are they? Film & TV edition

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

During these deep summer weeks where the temps are in the triple digits and the mountains are generally pretty uninhabitable to humans around here, we all need ways to keep distracted until things cool off. (I spent hours tracing routes for about 20 upcoming 12-mile radius hikes...) Last night I was watching the show "Hacks" with Justina and was reminded how its fun to try to figure out filming locations around LA.

In this episode of Hacks, (a decent show, but the new season is a definite step down) our heroes get lost in the mountains of "Pennsylvania". It is most obviously NOT filmed anywhere near Pennsylvania, but the mountains do look rather San Gabriel-esque. I can't quite identify the locations though.

Here is a B-roll shot that looks like somewhere in the front range.
IMG_4314.jpeg
And then a little later in the episode:
IMG_4315.jpeg
Any ideas?

Feel free to post others! The only criteria is its a screenshot from film or TV and it is somewhere in or of the mountains around LA. No cheating by looking it up, of course!

N8K
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I don't recognize it as the Gabes. Reminds me a little of Canada. But without cheating, I don't know if the show is filmed in Canada or America. Why do you say it can't be Pennsylvania? Also, a lot of filming is done in Georgia.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I cheated it was filmed in the San Gabriels. If you want more hints, here is a behind the scenes video showing the filming in more detail. It is a very obvious and popular place.

Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 7:09 am I don't recognize it as the Gabes. Reminds me a little of Canada. But without cheating, I don't know if the show is filmed in Canada or America. Why do you say it can't be Pennsylvania? Also, a lot of filming is done in Georgia.
I *do* know the show is filmed in Los Angeles. Those mountains in my screenshots are definitely not the mountains of Pennsylvania, which are long low flat rounded rolling ridges which stretch unbroken for miles, completely covered by deciduous forest. Here is a typical landscape view of the mountains of Pennsylvania:
maxresdefault.jpg
These shots from HACKS have the ragged Douglas fir typical of the Gabes' front range, and the mountains have no indication of glaciation in their shapes (cirques, U-shaped valleys, etc) , which would rule out Canada. Most of that vegetation is actually shrubs and not trees, per the Gabes. This HACKS episode you can tell was filmed in the middle of the last big winter on a cloudy rainy day to help disguise the location, but nonetheless I'm pretty confident its in the San Gabes? Or *maybe* elsewhere in SoCal, but I doubt it. I can't tell where exactly though...

In the following episode they all go golfing, and I can say with 99% certainty was filmed at the Angeles National Golf club on Tujunga Creek. This shot is blurry, (and an actual photo of my screen, HBO max app won't allow screenshots) but that distinct shape of Condor peak is unmistakable, and that is definitely looking southeast towards Mt Lukens and its northern ridge line Jeff and I hiked. I know this area really well so its an easy one. :)
IMG_4317.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

David R wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:11 am I cheated it was filmed in the San Gabriels. If you want more hints, here is a behind the scenes video showing the filming in more detail. It is a very obvious and popular place.
Cool, that featurette gives lots more hints, including some kind of canyon trailhead/day use area or visitors center they walk by and the canyon they are in.

Are you able to figure out the specific location in the Gabes of my two screenshots?
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

The second picture is one of the pull outs above Switzer and the first is probably up near Red Box.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

David R wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:31 am The second picture is one of the pull outs above Switzer and the first is probably up near Red Box.
You know, yes maybe we are positioned right about Red Box, looking west down the Arroyo Seco past the side of Mt Deception, and that rounded peak in the foreground could very well be "Panorama Peak" (or the bump just to the east of it) that Sean and Walker cut their way up, maybe with Mt Lukens behind it?

And I guess the canyon they are walking through is Switzers....?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I think you guys nailed it. The behind the scenes video shows the bridge and lower parking at Switzer, so that is probably the Gabrielino Trail they're walking. I believe that title shot is looking down the West Fork from the ACH near Red Box. I could probably pinpoint the locations now using reference photos, but I'm lazy. Next time I'm up there I'll just take more photos on my phone. I like how they maintain the lie of being in Pennsylvania even during the behind the scenes video.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

How about these shots of "Mt Chileo" from the epic Nathan For You episode Gas Station Rebate

Screen Shot 2024-08-07 at 2.35.15 PM.png

IMG_4319.jpeg

#3 this one is just a flat somewhere so probably pretty hard....
IMG_4320.jpeg
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Not Chilao. None of them.
Id guess SoCal hehehe.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

#3 could be Sulfur Springs CG, but could also be Kennedy Meadows area, or perhaps the mythical California Pines.

This one should be easy, a classic, sorry not San Gabes is only clue. I was here probably the same year they filmed this. Very cliche adventure I had: we went for the snowplay, I decided to take extended stroll in the woods, got lost, getting dark. I approach a cabin with smoke escaping chimney, knock on the door. Open, and wonderful warm yellow light beams out, sound of many revelers, grab me and drag me in to the party! Parents get called, ranger fetches me, and happy ending fit for a Norman Rockwell painting.

sf.jpg
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Tom Kenney wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:08 pm #3 could be Sulfur Springs CG, but could also be Kennedy Meadows area, or perhaps the mythical
I'm pretty sure it is somewhere in the Gabes, along with the other two photos.
Tom Kenney wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 2:08 pm This one should be easy, a classic, sorry not San Gabes is only clue.
Is that the Palm Springs tram? Never been on it...
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Yes, Palm Springs. It's not like this anymore! :) Also, well worth the long drive out there. You're geology buff, so might be interested in the 'vertical aerial tour' it affords, very spectacular canyon on the way up.

Scene is from the Columbo episode Short Fuse, starring Roddy McDowall.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

#3 is not Kennedy Meadows, it's mostly Pinon Pine and scrub sage up there - and the Kern River would have water flowing.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 9:31 am The second picture is one of the pull outs above Switzer and the first is probably up near Red Box.
Yes, the first is looking down the Arroyo Seco from the Haramokngna Cultural Center parking lot at Red Box.
IMG_20240820_182058573.jpg
And the second is looking down the Arroyo Seco from about halfway down the driveway to Switzer.
IMG_20240820_183934390_HDR.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Nate U wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:41 pm How about these shots of "Mt Chileo" from the epic Nathan For You episode Gas Station Rebate
#1 is from this spot on the ACH, looking south at Brown Mtn.
Screenshot_20240820-212538-986.png
Screenshot_20240820-213238-900.png
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Sean wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:29 pm #1 is from this spot on the ACH, looking south at Brown Mtn.
Nailed it! I kind of had this gut feeling it was Brown Mtn, but it was nothing more than a feeling. And you got the perfect spots on the HACKS episode.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

The movie Short Circuit (1986) was a fun robot comes to life story with Ally Sheedy. It was supposed to be set in Oregon and much of the film was shot in Oregon. However, the ending seemed clearly to be shot somewhere along the ACH. Here are 4 screenshots from the ending.

Those mountains in the background look like somewhere on the ACH front range

Just to the right of Ally is a yucca growing next to the road. That ain't Oregon.

They are at a turnout here

Final shot. Mt. Disappointment?

I hope as a group we can identify these locations.
dima

Post by dima »

The second-to-last image (from the turnout) is looking at Ontario Peak and Turtle's beak from the West. From Sunset peak rd or GRR or something.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:47 am The movie Short Circuit ...
I'll just point out that #1 and #4 have the same ridgeline from different distances but basically the same angle. I feel like I know it but can't place it. I've tried to match it to San Gabriel and Disappointment, per the original suggestion, but Google Maps street view isn't helpful. I'd have to go up there again on a clear day and see about it myself.

Edit: Also, there are a couple issues with it being ACH. First, I don't see the typical highway paint or markings, which I imagine would have been there in the 80s, but maybe not. And the angle and distance in #1 seem off for it to be San Gabriel or Disappointment from ACH. I'm thinking GRR makes more sense, especially the unpainted, higher elevation sections.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

It is the ACH. I think the painted lines just aren't visible, or maybe they weren't there in the 80s?
Its in the section past Red Box that has been closed.
short-circuit-1.png
Its where Markham looks like it has crazy exposure poking up behind San Gabriel.
dima

Post by dima »

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nate U wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:09 pm It is the ACH. I think the painted lines just aren't visible, or maybe they weren't there in the 80s?
Its in the section past Red Box that has been closed.

short-circuit-1.png

Its where Markham looks like it has crazy exposure poking up behind San Gabriel.
Nice identification!! I had a hunch, but didn't do my homework. Thanks, Nate.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I dug up these old photos, which show the same approximate view of San Gabriel Peak from Shortcut Saddle and the Barley Flats Road.
IMG_3300.JPG
DSC06415.JPG