Palisade Glacier

TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

My wife planned a backpacking trip to the Big Pine Creek area with a permit for the third lake. I had only seen this area through haze from the summit of Cloudripper. There were nine or more lakes in this basin fed from the high peaks. Backpacking is not my favorite way to visit the mountains. I prefer to go fast and light, even if I start and return in the dark, then sleep in a comfortable bed. None of my wife's friends were available so I went with. We packed up and got to the Big Pine overnight trailhead around 3:00 PM. The hike in to the third lake was about 5.8 miles and about 3000' gain and our camp site was around 10000'. It was hot as we hiked in, but cooled off as we reached the third lake. All the trails were well signed. The first three lakes were classic, glacier fed beauties. From the second lake, we had a front row view of Temple Crag. After we got set up, we only had about an hour of daylight left, which we spent appreciating the area.

Temple Crag from Lake 2

The next morning, we took our day packs and continued up to Sam Mack Meadow. This was an idyllic green garden spot in a granite bowl. Sheets of snow clung tenaciously in shaded crags. There was a wide crossing of Big Pine Creek North Fork and we got our feet wet, but we didn't need to wade. On the other side, the trail climbed aggressively. Even though we had slept at elevation, we both felt breathy and took plenty of breaks. At 11500', we were treated to views of famous eastern giants: Mount Sill, Mount Gayley, North Palisade, Thunderbolt, Winchell, and Agassiz. I had aspirations of attempting Sill this year, but could not find an available partner and was unwilling to try it solo. A half mile before the glacier, the official trail ended. To continue, we faced a quarter mile sidehill scramble on loose, sandy boulders. Dozens of cairns dotted the boulder field to guide us through. This was the hardest part of the hike and Leisa almost tapped. We dropped our poles in the boulder field because they were detrimental and she persevered. The last quarter mile was over slabs, also heavily marked with cairns, but much easier terrain. We stopped at a high point on the lip of the glacier bowl at 12362'. The glacier didn't fill the bowl. Sheets of ice and semi-truck sized chunks of ice floated in the lake. Ice and snow shelves were stacked in the U-notch below North Palisade. It was primordial. We were only 0.6 miles from Mount Sill but still almost 1800' below it. I was humbled in the presence of these mountains, so close and so inaccessible. After hanging out for a while, we returned to camp, packed up, and hiked out. It was a memorable experience. I'd like to see some of these mountains up close again.

Sky Haven

Palisade Glacier

Mount Gayley and Mount Sill

Descending back to Sam Mack Meadow
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very nice teke. That is one of my favorite areas, but I've not been to the glacier. Looks cool.

I know you're not big on backpacking, so big ups for making that happen for Leisa.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

That 2nd shot. :!:
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

The tradition is to skinny dip in the lake, you will need to go back.

tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:17 pm Very nice teke. That is one of my favorite areas, but I've not been to the glacier. Looks cool.

I know you're not big on backpacking, so big ups for making that happen for Leisa.
I probably have 1-2 backpacking trips in me each year. It's the least I can do for her. ;)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

David R wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:02 am The tradition is to skinny dip in the lake, you will need to go back.
Haha, I think I'll leave that to the polar bears. My next trip in the area will be on the south fork for sure.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

tekewin wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 10:53 am
Uncle Rico wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:17 pm Very nice teke. That is one of my favorite areas, but I've not been to the glacier. Looks cool.

I probably have 1-2 backpacking trips in me each year. It's the least I can do for her. ;)
You could probably do less.... I know I can here. :) That's a nice place to visit and plenty of lakes to explore. I could spend just about all day sitting at Summit Lake looking at the glacier.

So this prompted me to look up how glaciers are defined, and the current guideline is about 25 acres. I visited Glacier National Park in 2005 and remember one of the Rangers saying they had to be 100 feet thick and moving, I can't find that quote anywhere on the webz so it's possible that I'm mis-remembering.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda