Boundary Peak, NV

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Day two of my White Mountains weekend featured Boundary Peak (13,141'). It's the state high point of Nevada, even though it's a lesser peak in the White Mountains that spilled over the border. I started a little before 7 AM from the Queen Canyon trailhead. The drive on Queen Canyon Road was about 6.3 miles, but rougher than White Mountain Road. The last two miles especially featured very deep ruts and huge rocks. I recommend 4x4. Boundary Peak was appropriately named, less than a half mile from the California border. It was a three act play.

Act 1 (The Setup): Trailhead to "resting rock"

The start of the trail was very steep, but was smooth as silk. The first part of hike consists of gaining the approach ridge, then dropping to a saddle where Boundary Peak can be accessed. The terrain started out as low scrub with a few bristlecone pines that soon disappeared. When I reached the top of the ridge and saw Boundary, it hit me right between the eyes. With granite spires and towers, it was majestic, medieval, Game-of-Thronesy, and daunting. Sometimes, it pays not to do too much research and be pleasantly surprised. At the saddle below the start of the first big slope, there was a single granite rock I named "resting rock". I sat on the rock hydrating, studying the trail, and getting ready for the meaty part of the hike.

Act 2 (Confrontation): Resting rock to Hosebag Saddle (11,960')

The trail went up the barren, dirt slope to a saddle below the sub-peak unofficially named Hosebag Peak (Peakbagger). The trail was sandy, but larger rocks were available for assistance. About 1/3 of the way up, splinter trails started appearing. There seemed to be many ways up. I tried to follow the most used trail, which led me to loop left, then right to angle for the saddle. It was a slow grind, but there were no other obstacles. Some useful cairns were set up, but also some questionable ones that led to splinter trails. I may not have always been on the best path, but it went. When I hit the saddle, I got an astounding view of the rest of the ridge and the peak. It was clear the ridge climb would be the crux.

Act 3 (Resolution): Hosebag saddle to the summit

The trail cut below Hosebag into a ridge of boulders. The trail split in front of the bump, one leading directly over the boulders, one cutting sidehill about 100-150' below the ridge, and variations in between. I took the sidehill trail, which maintained a good angle. Cairns appeared occasionally. There were many chances to regain the ridge, but I stuck with the sidehill trail until it merged higher up. Some class 2 was required. At the top of the ridge was a final obstacle with a couple of giant overhanging boulders. I went around the left side, more class 2, but I suspect the right side would have worked as well. After that, it was a short walk to the summit. The benchmark was intact, only placed in 1950. New and old registers were in a large ammo box. I spent some time reading the entries and enjoying the summit. I never saw anyone else all day, but another party had signed in 40 minutes before me. Their only comment was: "we should have taken the other trail". Since I never saw them, I surmised that they took the Trail Canyon trail, a different ridge notorious for bad scree. Views were incredible. Montgomery Peak, slightly higher, was a spiky threat less than a mile away. Montgomery was a game time decision but dark clouds were building. I didn't think I had 2-3 hours to make the round trip in time. The descent went faster than planned and was uneventful. I absolutely loved this mountain. Everything went right and it hit the sweet spot for difficulty and moments of awe. 8.6 miles, 3835' gain, 7.25 hours.

Here's a couple of vids:

Summit 360 https://youtu.be/Q94Tp2zzCf8

Evil mist https://youtu.be/xOfB9ErFREI
dima

Post by dima »

That looks excellent! I can see what you're saying about it being right in the sweet spot. Looks like some fun terrain and no brush. Perfect!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice! Beautiful landscape all around.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I did this back in June 2006, my notes then were that if it were not the high point no one would do it. You drove up the road much further than I did so we had another couple miles of rutted road walking. We also took a wind break at that rock and also stashed a couple bottles of water for the return hike. Definitely not many people up there so you get to look at the vast mountain ranges and valleys while contemplating just how small we are.

Still a long way to go.
19248_1323987783705_8028640_n.jpg
Montgomery from Boundary. Still kicking myself for not traversing across that ridge.
19248_1323989383745_1213723_n.jpg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JeffH wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:07 pm I did this back in June 2006, my notes then were that if it were not the high point no one would do it. You drove up the road much further than I did so we had another couple miles of rutted road walking. We also took a wind break at that rock and also stashed a couple bottles of water for the return hike. Definitely not many people up there so you get to look at the vast mountain ranges and valleys while contemplating just how small we are.
Like you said, it's popular because it's the high point. I was pleasantly surprised by the scenery, and it didn't just feel like a bump below Montgomery. Exceeded my expectations. I think it would have taken me 2.5-3 hours to add Montgomery and I didn't want to risk getting caught out there in a storm. Might be worth another trip to get it. The route from Queen Canyon seems to be better than Trail Canyon. That rock is a perfect spot for a cache.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report and videos! If I ever get up there, I'll probably imagine Game of Thrones dragons flying around, thanks to your description!

What's up with "Hosebag Peak"? Not a very decent name. I wouldn't use it.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:03 am Thanks for the report and videos! If I ever get up there, I'll probably imagine Game of Thrones dragons flying around, thanks to your description!

What's up with "Hosebag Peak"? Not a very decent name. I wouldn't use it.
Have no idea about the name. Peakbagger shows it as the official name, but topos don't. Probably some local reference. It was added to peakbagger by Jim Retemeyer, but I can't find any reference to the origin of the name online.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

GNIS would never approve that name, so not official. Based on a Google search, the name looks popular with the "Peakbagger" and "Summit Post" crowd.
Screenshot_20240725-085943-675.png
Terrible.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Montgomery Peak, slightly higher, was a spiky threat less than a mile away.
Nice teke. That looks pretty good.

So Montgomery must be over the CA state line?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:20 am
Montgomery Peak, slightly higher, was a spiky threat less than a mile away.
Nice teke. That looks pretty good.

So Montgomery must be over the CA state line?
Yup, the border is near the saddle in between. Montgomery would have been a nice get, but it would have taken me a long time to round trip the short distance and PM weather was iffy.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

The drive on Queen Canyon Road was about 6.3 miles, but rougher than White Mountain Road. The last two miles especially featured very deep ruts and huge rocks. I recommend 4x4.
Can my 2000 4Runner make it? It's not lifted.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 8:18 am Can my 2000 4Runner make it? It's not lifted.
Yes, I think you could make it. My truck isn't lifted either. The first 5 miles aren't too bad and there was a large camping spot there where some people stop if they don't want to drive the final switchbacks. There was only one spot I stopped to get out and look for the best way through. A large boulder protrudes from the left side with 24" uneven ruts. I got by cleanly going up, but scraped my step bar on the boulder coming down. No permanent damage.