Bastard Ridge & Bailey Canyon Trails (Jones Peak)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I went up Bastard Ridge this morning and someone has done significant work on this route. The route has been brushed and even steps have been carved into the trail on some of the steep sections. The initial climb has work-arounds that have been created so you don't have to go up the seriously eroded section. Similarly the Bailey Canyon trail has been groomed and brushed so that much of it is easily used by people going up and down at the same time. Kudos to the trail builders, it made for a smooth experience.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The Mount Wilson Trail crew has been working the Bailey Canyon Trail. Was it clear all the way up to the saddle on the north side of Jones Peak? I helped them clear the trail up to the cabin ruins.

I don't know who is working the Bastard Ridge route.
dima

Post by dima »

I ran up Bailey and the Bastard ridge in April. It was all clear and nice.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

HikeUp wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:34 pm The Mount Wilson Trail crew has been working the Bailey Canyon Trail. Was it clear all the way up to the saddle on the north side of Jones Peak? I helped them clear the trail up to the cabin ruins.

Yes the whole route has been improved, from the ruins they really widened the trail.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Hope you don't mind, I edited the title for search reasons and added this topic to the TRAILS list.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

David R wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:28 pm
HikeUp wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:34 pm The Mount Wilson Trail crew has been working the Bailey Canyon Trail. Was it clear all the way up to the saddle on the north side of Jones Peak? I helped them clear the trail up to the cabin ruins.

Yes the whole route has been improved, from the ruins they really widened the trail.
One of the goals they have is to widen the trails where possible. Above the ruins I am not sure there is much room to actual do that, but it's possible they just haven't gotten to it yet. AFAIK, they just brushed & widened it up to the ruins as of 2 weeks ago. It's possible they have gone further up, but I haven't talked to them for 2 weeks. Brushing is the first goal and if they have enough men they widen it right after they brush it..