Mount Baldy & West Baldy via ski hut trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Went up to Mount Baldy today 08/15 with my gf via the ski hut trail. Was pretty hot, with few clouds for shade and not too much wind. I was literally drenching sweat only 20 minutes into the trail. Anyways, it looks like the huts roof is nearing completion, I saw someone working on it the whole time I was there. Took us a long time to make it too the top due to the heat and my gf kept stopping saying "my legs hurt" :cry: ......I guess the nearly 4,000 foot elevation gain was a little too much for her........Once at the top I looked over at West Baldy and said what the hell might as well go bag it also :D On the way down we ran out of water just below the bowl...........this sucked :x ......... I was totally exhausted and dehydrated after this hike...........Overall it was a nice hike, but will wait till fall when it's cooler until I consider going up again
Here are some pics if anyone's interested:
http://flickr.com/photos/24141711@N08/s ... 758237461/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Y'always gotta carry way more water than you think you'll need in the summer.
drndr

Post by drndr »

what time did you go up. we're thinking of a night hike starting at maybe 7pm, sleeping up there, then coming downin the morn. How long did it take you
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

I got a late start didn't start the hike till about 9am and it was already pretty hot. It took about 3hrs 45 mins to hike up to the top and about 2 hrs down (we were kind of taking our time though). Im pretty sure if you started at 7pm it would be much cooler and you could get up much faster.
A6

Post by A6 »

I got started at 6 am on the Bear Flats Trail. The temperature was perfect for shorts and a t-shirt. I saw two bear hunters dressed in all camo with bow and arrows by the highest water tank. I saw the fewest people on the trail today than I have all summer(8 ascents)
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The spring below the hut that flows across the trail is good water if you can't get water at the hut itself. We have used it twice this year.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

A6 wrote:I got started at 6 am on the Bear Flats Trail. The temperature was perfect for shorts and a t-shirt. I saw two bear hunters dressed in all camo with bow and arrows by the highest water tank. I saw the fewest people on the trail today than I have all summer(8 ascents)
a6? is that the Najdorf Defense? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_D ... _Variation
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

RichardK wrote:The spring below the hut that flows across the trail is good water if you can't get water at the hut itself. We have used it twice this year.
Thanks for the info, I thought about getting water here but had second thoughts because I thought this source came from near the ski hut restroom :? I was unaware that the spring was near the trail.
A6

Post by A6 »

No not a chess thing.....good try though. The A-6 Intruder can carry many payloads or long range fuel under its wings, land or TO on a carrier, and has now been overtaken by newer and faster planes. I would have flown them in the 70's but they abolished the draft right as I turned 18 and I was happy to become a hiker instead. I like to think I hike like an A-6......only problem.... the low fuel warning light comes on more often nowdays !!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

After Mexican food, I'm more like an EA-6B, with radiation leaks harming those flying behind me. :lol:
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

it must have been hot.........good hike