Cuyamaca Bikepack with kid

Archived TRs for ranges in California.

Post by 406 »

Did our fourth annual bike into camp at the local State Park with the middle kid. Late leaving home due to classic dad stuff...clogged kids toilet and sink. F'ing Home Depot self checkout had all kinds of problems ringing up the toilet auger. Why does stuff like this always happen right when I'm trying to leave for a night or more?

She is 6 years old now, so too big for the shotgun seat or seat I rigged on the rack and time to ride her own bike in. I used a tow strap for most of the up hill.

The mirror was helpful to keep an eye on what she is up to, but difficult for me to look down while riding. Would get one for helmet for next trip:

She wanted to hike her bike up a few hills and actually skipped while doing so, first I had ever seen anyone do that:

camp and victory beer for me:

I had brought just one freeze dried dinner, thinking a Peak Refuel Chicken and Pesto would be enough for both of us. She ate 90%, and kept going on about how it was the best dinner ever and why can't I cook this at home. I mostly had some cashews for dinner.

Night went well, she got up to pee 6" from front door of tent :? , otherwise slept a solid 12 hours. Granola for her(her favorite) and sausage and biscuits for me...so plenty of breakfast despite her getting into mine.

Ride out was mostly down and I was nervous she would get going to fast, but did great. Complained one time her hand was sore from pulling the brake on the dirt road and we stopped to rest. She really liked the trail part because less braking and flows pretty nice.

Flowers are pretty good out there right now and nice and green.

Swim in the river after:

Then rush back to town to miss by 2 min the oldest kid getting a reading award at school :x

Taking the youngest next. Will be his first trip away from home that is also away from his mom. Was the same for middle kid, but he has a bit of the Mother Boy. Wish me luck.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the report, and welcome back! It's been a while.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That sounds like a pretty good overnight adventure! How far was the ride in/out? Established campground or dispersed?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda

Post by 406 »

Round trip was 14 miles and 1500 ft elevation gain.

It is an established "primitive" camp, have to filter water from a pump and pit toilet but no other amenities. Only access is ride or hike in the 6ish miles.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I would totally eat 90% of your pesto dinner. Trailtopia's Pesto Pasta with hemp seed protein is one of my favorites.

Post by 406 »

It was the youngest kids turn last weekend. Opted for no rear rack and more stuff in the backpack to keep weight on bike down. Set up: handle bar bag has 2 sleeping bags and our cloths; downtube bag has bike tools, fuel, first aid; triangle bag has tent poles, water filter, 2 sleeping pads, 2 spoons, bug spray, ground tarp, stove; backpack lots of water, tent, food, pots and cups, 1 beer, bathroom stuff; toptube bag has snacks and hand sani.

He is 3 and almost 40 lbs, so probably only year he will fit on the kids ride shot gun seat:

Some complaining on the way in when I was going slow up the lager hills, "this is taking forever" :roll: Couple stops for snacks and to smell the grape soda flowers:

Same camping spot as last week, but more bugs this week for some reason. Set up and dinner went well, he also ate most of our shared dinner. I bought a OR water bottle parka on clearance for $15 last year, which kept my beer nice a cold.

Lots of farts when he was playing around camp, I kept asking if he needed to use the potty and he kept saying no. I suggested we go for a little walk in the direction of the pit toilet. Made it about half way and he said he had to poop and I said perfect we are going to the bathroom. He replied with I just pooped. It was a big one, so I carried him to the pit toilet and thankfully had lots of baby wipes. He then got mad I tossed his spiderman underwear, sorry bud I'm not packing those out, but calmed down when I told him I had more back at the tent.

Night went smooth and he was up like normal at 5:30am. Was a little cold out, but he enjoyed his Tang while breakfast cooked:

He had lots of fun on ride out and enjoyed the faster pace of the mostly downhill:

Swim in the river after and he was asleep on the drive home within a mile of leaving the parking lot.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I bet the real Spiderman craps his pants, with all that high G-force activity and all. Thanks for the report.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

My son just turned 4 this week, and I can relate to a whole lot of this! Getting a 3 year old to poop successfully in a potty can be quite the art....
Your bike set up with the kids seat is pretty slick.
I think I'll be doing a camping trip with mine this coming weekend up at Crystal Lake. His 3rd camping overnight, first without mommy! Wish us luck!!