Precipice/Sidewinder

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

The Santa Clara River Reserve is 6500 acres of desert adjacent to Santa Clara, UT that is administered by the BLM. Within the reserve their is a network of trails and archeological treasures left by the Ancestral Puebloans who lived in this area from approximately 700 BC to 1200 AD. It is also home to the seldom-seen and threatened desert tortoise. The land here is vastly different than the surrounding red rock for which the area is popularly known. The terrain is more desert sage scrub tablelands, with low mesas and expansive views. Not as immediately striking as the more popular red sandstone, but in a certain sense, equally sublime.

The Precipice/Sidewinder hike begins at the Cove Wash trailhead at approximately 37.12096,-113.67506. To get there, you follow a bumpy gravel road south of Gates Road in Santa Clara for maybe a mile or so to a small, signed parking lot. The last tenth of a mile is a bit rocky, but a passenger car can make it by picking the right path and moving slowly. This is mostly a mountain biking area, but if offers fine hiking and solitude.

The Precipice trail begins by a sign that contains a trail map and information about the reclusive desert tortoise. Immediately the Black Brush trail breaks off to the north. Ignore that trail. Or don't. That trail makes a fine 4.2 mile lollipop. Right after that, the Barrel Roll trails splits to the right. Ignore that trail. Or don't. It parallels Precipice for about a mile to a low saddle where there is a trail junction. Because Precipice is the more enjoyable options, I always choose that.

The Precipice trail continues after this split for about 0.8 miles to the aforementioned saddle. This is a fine single-track with a gentle incline that meanders through rocky outcroppings and barrel cactus. Very enjoyable. At the saddle, the trail splits. To the right, Barrel Roll continues in a north-westish direction to the top of an adjacent mesa for another lollipop route. To the left, Precipice (now Sidewinder) continues in a westerly direction climbing to the top of another mesa.

Sidewinder gets its name on account of the fact that the trail zigs and zags interminably as it climbs to the top of the mesa. That makes it sound like an exasperating experience, but in reality it's really quite nice. The easy incline allows you to take in the magnificent scenery that abounds. It's all about the mileage and the views here.

Eventually, the path tops out on the mesa. The trail splits here, but you can't go the wrong way as both directions just circle the top of the mesa. I always go right here because the north side of the mesa has a bunch of slabs that afford super nice view of the expansive desert beyond. Sit up here in the breeze and solitude and drink the beer you packed just in case of an emergency like this. Return the same way you came.

A couple of pics.

*Full disclosure: the tortoise pic isn't mine. I've not come across one in my many outings. My friend Buzz encountered this one the one time he went out while he was here. Some guys have all the luck.
14_Precipice.jpg
15_Precipice.jpg
16_Precipice.jpg
16-1_Precipice.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Next time I suggest carrying a store-bought tortoise in your backpack, then place him on the trail for a photoshoot and say, "Look what was on the trail!"
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Uncle Rico wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:13 am
Sidewinder gets its name on account of the fact that the trail zigs and zags interminably as it climbs to the top of the mesa. That makes it sound like an exasperating experience, but in reality it's really quite nice. The easy incline allows you to take in the magnificent scenery that abounds. It's all about the mileage and the views here.
What is the difference between this sidewinder description and switchbacks?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

JeffH wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:15 pm
What is the difference between this sidewinder description and switchbacks?
"Sidewinder" sounds more southwestern and desert-y. Way cooler than just saying "switchbacks."