Padre Canyon

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I haven't done any hiking/exploring in the San Gabes in an awful long time it seems. I've been spending quite a bit of time in Southern Utah looking after my elderly mom. I have found time, however, to get out on a few trails here to preserve my sanity. I was going to do one big post with a number of trails, but when I saved it to draft, Eispiraten ate it so I couldn't retrieve what I started. Or maybe I'm just an idiot and don't know how to save and retrieve drafts. That's probably it, but I'm sticking with the first explanation so that my fragile self-worth isn't wounded.

Instead of one big TR dump, I'm just going to do these as micro reports. First up is Padre Canyon

The trail up Padre Canyon begins adjacent to the parking lot at the Tuachan Center for the Arts in Ivins. Approximate coordinates are 37.19031,-113.65738. The trail initially dips into the wash and then skirts Tuachan to the east before entering Padre Canyon. The lower sections of the canyon are relatively flat and shaded (depending upon the time of day) by the 1000 ft. sandstone cliffs on each side of the trail. Then the trail steepens and the climbing begins. Nothing outrageous, but the path is quite rocky in places. As you approach the saddle to the north, the trail becomes quite steep and loose, but its relatively short. At the saddle, you're looking north into Snow Canyon. The view south is toward Ivins and Santa Clara.

Continuing past the saddle, the trail descends among junipers and pinyons and then weaves through a neat red rock area with a seasonal pond. Good options for off trail exploration here. Eventually, the the Padre Canyon trail intersects the Red Sands Trail leading west to the "Three Ponds" which are really just a series of sandstone potholes that collect and retain rain water. As the name suggests, the Red Sands Trail is, well, sandy, and its a big of a slog to walk on. Still, Three Ponds is kind of cool and the scenery is remarkable. If you go east at on the Red Sands Trail you enter Snow Canyon State Park. So this is a back-door way into the park without having to pay the silly entrance fee. Ha, ha. Here's a couple of pics.
1_Padre Canyon.jpg
2_Padre Canyon.jpg
3_Padre Canyon.jpg
4_Padre Canyon.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Spectacular! I love Utah. It's so beautiful. Thanks for the TR.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. If I could hike in two places at once, one location would be Utah. I love all that red rock.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

The red rock areas are stunning. I think it might be getting towards hot season out there pretty soon.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda