Treasure Hunting in the Los Padres

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

One of my recent interests had been looking for Native American art in the Los Padres. I am not particularly interested in the art itself but most locations are kept relatively secret so they become interesting puzzles to figure out based on pictures and snippets of information. I have found two major sites and heard about a third one a while ago and decided with the cool weather to make the long drive up to the TH. I was pretty certain about the trails I needed to hike and which drainage to find the site. Otherwise it was pretty much all up in the air.

I started up the main trail and promptly missed the obscure turn off to the trail I needed to take. I backtracked a bit, I could see the tread of the trail but not the access point. I decided to bushwhack my way up there and connected with the trail. The trail was infrequently used and a bit brushy as I started up the canyon. The canyon started narrowing and the trail dumped me into the creek bed with no evidence of a trail. From here the trail was eroded and sometimes you stayed in the creek bed and in other places you followed along sections of trail above the creek.

I reached the drainage and left the eroded trail and came to my first fork. I decided to poke in there and see what I would find. I found a bunch of footprints and a duck with a note under it. Looked promising so I started up. The canyon was narrow with lots of flowing water and soon my feet were soaked. I had to dodge lots of poison oak and scramble over little waterfalls. I hit a couple of other forks but those were all brushy. This route was taking a lot of time and still no evidence of the rock formation that I had seen in the photo. I kept on persuading myself that tracks I saw in the mud were human so continued onwards. Finally I hit a 30 foot waterfall and knew this fork was a dead end. A lot of work got me back to my original point. I had used up over an hour investigating this fork but still had time to look through one more.

I started up the other fork and quickly came to another fork. I took a careful look at the topography and based on the picture of the rock that had the art that I had seen, it really looked like I should go one way which I did. I hiked up this fork for about 10 minutes and there it was the rock outcropping I had seen in the picture. I clambered up the ridge and it was very evident where the Native Americans had set fires against the rock. Over there I found these:
thumbnail_IMG_2711.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2712.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2713.jpg
I also found this interesting hole which apparently was connected with the solstice.
thumbnail_IMG_2710.jpg
There was another site nearby which I could see from where I was but I decided with my long detour that it was time to go back and I had fulfilled the main requirement of the hike which was to find this place. The fun was over. There is one more location that I'm interested in finding. I'm pretty sure where it is as well but this one would require going through private land so may not take the risk to find this one.

Statistics were almost six hours of driving with six and a half hours of hiking, lol.
dima

Post by dima »

Awesome! I love solving puzzles like this. It's so much more satisfying to figure it out yourself than have somebody just tell you where it's at. Want to come find some airplanes?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! Nice find David.