Bear Canyon Trail

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Anyone have any current information on conditions in Bear Canyon from the Tom Sloane saddle to the Arroyo Seco? Wondering if its a complete thrash-fest.

Thx.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I haven't been there in a couple of years, though I did go through post Station Fire. Based on conditions in Arroyo Seco right now, I'd guess thrash-fest with walking in the streambed better than trying to follow the old trail. It's still one of the most beautiful places in the SGs, so if you like a good adventure, I'd say go for it. It won't be completely impassable.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Sean, teke, Cecelia, Henry and I made an exploratory of Bear Canyon yesterday. Cucamonga Man has been tasked with putting together a TR, but here's the Reader's Digest version of conditions in Bear Canyon.

From Tom Sloane saddle to the ruins where the trail hits the canyon bottom, the path is in good shape. No problems. From the ruins to Bear Canyon camp it's a much more difficult proposition. Lots of stream crossings and picking your way through the over-growth and deadfall. That having been said, someone has been through the canyon very recently and has trimmed back the foliage which was very helpful. They or someone else has also strung pink and red tape along the course so route-finding really wasn't that difficult. From Bear Canyon camp to the Arroyo Seco the path is in fair shape. The trail in mostly intact, but there are a few stream-crossings and other obstacles to navigate. Those obstacles didn't dissuade the 20 or so other folks that greeted us upon our arrival at Bear Canyon Camp. :shock: Pics forthcoming in the TR.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yesterday I hiked the Bear Canyon Trail between Mt. Lowe Road and Tom Sloan Saddle. This segment is sometimes known as the Tom Sloan Saddle Trail, but I hope that name goes away, as it causes confusion with the Tom Sloan Trail.

The trail is in good shape with minimal issues, such as mild overgrowth. It appears to have been maintained within the last year or two. I thoroughly enjoyed walking down it. Baby pine trees are popping up alongside the path.
IMG_20240504_151031035_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240504_151620965_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240504_152630997_HDR.jpg