Rincon Shortcut Road

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Has anyone here gone up this road? I've yet to do so, and I'm sorta-kinda looking for a one-way ride up it sometime soon to do some canyoneering.
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I'd be down to run up it, never been but I hear it's easy cheese for a jeep.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I've been up it pre-station fire. It has been repaired /improved post-fire. I haven't been down to the west fork but I'm guessing it is in good shape.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I ran/walked it a couple years ago. 4WD would be overkill with how it was then.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

The last storm did some severe damage in the Mt. Wilson area (north side, West Fork). Many hundreds of trees blown down on Shortcut Road and Rincon Road (probably also all trails in the area). I did what should have been a quick ride yesterday that turned into a '3 hour tour' as I dragged my bicycle through the horizontal forest. This is the worst deadfall event I've seen up there!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I walked up part of it from the bottom. It is a lonnnnnng ass road. You can take a 4 wheeler the whole way if you get a permit.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

CrazyHermit wrote: I walked up part of it from the bottom. It is a lonnnnnng ass road. You can take a 4 wheeler the whole way if you get a permit.
I did the exact opposite, rode my bike from Red Box to Pine Mtn, saw the road dropping precipitously toward CA-39, and decided I'd seen enough! :)

I read a TR somewhere a while (years) ago, a group did a hike from Rincon Road over Monrovia Peak and down the southern slope to some park. They got the permit to do the shuttle.
dima

Post by dima »

Do you know how one gets a permit? We biked this whole road as part of the Baldy Bruiser, and there were a number of private cars up there.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Here's a pdf with all the rules. You can pick up a permit at the East Fork OHV area or at the Glendora ranger station
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 319636.pdf
Taco

Post by Taco »

Huehuehuehue, now I have ridden the whole thing. Dima, my buddy and I have been talking about driving up there for a while now. He volunteers with the FS, so I think it wouldn’t be too hard to get it done if you wanna go. Just gotta do the impossible task of having the same days off!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

There's a report on TrailForks (with lurid photo) about a huge slide blocking Shortcut just north of the ford of West Fork. Looks impassable bad. Options for accessing the mid-country are getting pretty thin, even for us persistent types.