South Ossetia - Georgian Conflict

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's hard to find good info online. When you do, it's probably badly skewed towards one group or another.

So, lemme get this straight: Georgia opened up first, moved in?

I'd turn on the local news, but I'd rather just slam my head into a table repeatedly. I'd get more out of that.
Tim

Post by Tim »

The region itself is pretty confusing, kinda like the Middle East. There have been years of conflict and an "uneasy" peace. Ethnic groups are involved as well as politics. But the gist of it is South Ossetia has been trying to separate from Georgia and Georgia wants it back.

Georgia attacked first and went on an offensive on Friday to reclaim that area. They've since been annihilated by the Russians who are now advancing beyond the original areas. Some say the Russians are on their way to the capital to topple the current (democratic) government.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I figured that.

The presidude of Georgia was saying in a video that Putin wants to take him down.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

*Bangs head on table*

Post by 406 »

What you don't trust fair balanced "Fox news"!?

For more real news I turn to NPR or BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah, I was checking BBC a bit.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

I would trust NPR as a neutral source. I remembered BBC used to ban John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance" during the Gulf war. However, BBC is still a better international news source than others.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Lots of Cold War rhetoric being thrown around now. A Russian general warned Poland that it "risks" a strike (maybe even nuclear) because of the new missile defense agreement with the U.S. Then again we threatened Iran with the same thing ("all options are on the table").

Then you have Bush saying we'll send naval ships to Georgia even though we don't even have permission from Turkey to cross their waters. "The president was writing checks to the Georgians without knowing what he had in the bank," said a senior administration official.

What a sad state the world is in now. How would President Obama or McCain deal with this? I agree with one voter who said, "I don't think I'm comfortable with either of those clowns."
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Tim wrote: What a sad state the world is in now. How would President Obama or McCain deal with this? I agree with one voter who said, "I don't think I'm comfortable with either of those clowns."
I don't feel comfortable with a POLITICIAN "in control" of My Country.

We badly need another Theodore Roosevelt.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I was listening to NPR about this conflict...here was their "news"

1) Pro-Georgia...started about Russian TV showing propaganda..which was victims of Georgia conflict......sort of humourous, this was the same NPR that was stumbling over itself to broadcast our own military propoganda in the last one, much of it way more out of there than the Russians...no mention of Georgia TV.

2) Ossentia pro-russian - source was old woman who said she would rather be beheaded than return to Georgia. Also talked to others....give me a break, a few people constitues what a country/city stands for?

No question in my mind the news thrives on stirring stuff up so they can catch viewers...that includes the Associated Press....now they are talking this is 1968 and the Cold War...that is NPR for you. Next is talk about WWIII, no doubt as the effect of constantly bombarding us with 'Cold War' wears off.

The only piece I got from the news(not NPR, but talk radio) was great reporting on how ineffective the UN is...but thats more of the same. As far as the BBC, I dont mind them, but I dont like the British invasion of US media. I cant stand their humour, their reality shows are mostly huge misses to me, etc. My one deal with the BBC is they report on a lot of stuff I dont care about, like the market prices of Sudanese wheat.