Mt. Wilson from Sierra Madre

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I'm in training mode right now and on my list was Mt. Wilson from Sierra Madre. Although I've been to Mt. Wilson before from many different routes including Chantry (which is currently closed until 2024), I finally conquered this beast!

I started at 7:45 am and was making good progress. I made it to Orchard camp and took a snack break. I had never been beyond Orchard and was so excited. I was prepared for the steep trek ahead of me.

As I approached the first switchback around the corner, I got the surprise of my life. Wait for it.......

A naked man! LMFAO
IMG_20230606_172721.jpg

He startled me and stopped right in front of me, only covering up the family jewels. So I asked him, "Are you training for Hiking Naked Day?" He said, "Yes, I am training for Hiking Naked Day." I replied, "But it's not until June 21st." Then he wished me a good day and took off. It was gloomy and very cold on this Tuesday morning, so I'm not sure how he managed.

Anyways, after that exciting moment I continued on to the bench and ate one of my delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I was really impressed with the trail beyond Orchard. It was so beautiful! A tough, steep trail but worth every step. I was surrounded by clouds and mist the entire way up to the summit. I also saw some deer along the way.

From the Mt. Wilson toll road I opted for the steep shortcut directly to the summit. It was freezing but peaceful. I saw one other hiker and talked with him for a bit before eating my second peanut butter and jelly sandwich and enjoying my serenity.

I descended the same way and thoroughly enjoyed my hike, finding lots of wildflowers along the way.
IMG_20230607_011942.jpg
IMG_20230607_015411.jpg
IMG_20230606_154345.jpg
IMG_20230607_020524.jpg
IMG_20230607_012337.jpg
IMG_20230606_133853(7).jpg
IMG_20230606_125836.jpg
IMG_20230607_012438.jpg
IMG_20230606_080430.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Good job! I don't think it should count as hiking naked when you wear boots. Also, I wonder if he applies bug spray to his junk.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Congrats on the accomplishment. Great trail.

WTF? Was the deer wearing pants?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: Congrats on the accomplishment. Great trail.

WTF? Was the deer wearing pants?
I think the deer was butt naked that's why he was hiding behind the tree.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I never train for Hike Naked day, I just go out and do it. I send my selfies to all the fellas in the neighborhood. I'm impressed that you know it's coming up!
Do you have a Whitney permit?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Reminds me of one of my favorite "old man" jokes...

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?
Beer nuts are about 49cents and deer nuts are just under a buck.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

What's the difference between beer nuts and deer nuts?
Beer nuts are about 49cents and deer nuts are just under a buck.
Good one!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

JeffH wrote: I never train for Hike Naked day, I just go out and do it. I send my selfies to all the fellas in the neighborhood. I'm impressed that you know it's coming up!
Do you have a Whitney permit?
I'm going with a group who has the permits. I got rejected again this year.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Naked dude reminds me of LoneEagleWoman. She came across a bear and let out a loud primal scream. Bear ran off.
Dont mess with LoneEagle...says a Grizzly. It must have been deafening and so intense.
Still going off today! if you imagine the dramatic cut scene. Theres threatening Grizzly towering above...while she not really looking...but bowled over in half letting a furious yell off. And then some epic music plays , a quiet at first, then max volume. Grizzly goes and shes looking at him run away, going through cycles of deep emotion.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

> From the Mt. Wilson toll road I opted for the steep shortcut directly to the summit. It was freezing but peaceful.

Look out for the poodle dog bush on that stretch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriodictyon_parryi

> I saw one other hiker and talked with him for a bit before eating my second peanut butter and jelly sandwich and enjoying my serenity.

A second PB&J??? I have to try that. Well played.