The Deadly PL&P Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I took this footage about a year ago, the second time I've crossed it. This trail (what's left of it) was built in 1911, so it's even older than the Wetwater Trail in the Narrows. The section I crossed was chiseled out with jackhammers. The Pacific Light & Power trail ran all the way from Camp Bonita to Prairie Fork. The trail was completed but the electric plant and dam it was built to service were never completed. The Forks Dam would have been the largest in the world, but Henry Roberts and other miners sued and shut them down after two attempts. If you know where this is, don't try this. It's at least 150 down if you fall.

Sean

Post by Sean »

That looks amazing. Was the sign at some sort of junction or do you think it was hauled to that spot?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I think that was the original location, just a mileage sign put up by the forest service. Supposedly when the trail was in good shape you could rent mules from Follows Camp and ride across it safely.
David R

Post by David R »

I believe Dima found the same sign a while ago and had asked about the trail.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

I had a feeling somebody had found it since I dug it out of the brush.
It was in a slightly different location and the sign posts were kinda wacky. I doubt that many people have seen that.
JakubRZ

Post by JakubRZ »

I noticed some time ago your secretmines site is down?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Yeah, I got rid of that site and started doing YouTube videos.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice exposure! The crux was obvious. Glad you didn't fall. Were those deer or sheep bones?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Those were sheep bones. They've been up in that same area for years, probably still there. The first time I crossed that was easy, but the second time storms had washed a lot of dirt down on the trail. One part has a 50 degree slope (scary).
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

CrazyHermit wrote: Those were sheep bones. They've been up in that same area for years, probably still there. The first time I crossed that was easy, but the second time storms had washed a lot of dirt down on the trail. One part has a 50 degree slope (scary).
Yeah, the storms are accelerating the erosion. Thanks for the report.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

As one of my old friends might say, "Gnar!"
Gene

Post by Gene »

Another epic adventure!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

LOL, thanks. Never again though. Makes me lean to the right every time I watch it.
Gene

Post by Gene »

CrazyHermit wrote: LOL, thanks. Never again though. Makes me lean to the right every time I watch it.
Exactly!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thats super cool. Ive been enjoying your videos lately. I think ive hiked on part of that trail just below airplane flat a long time ago and thought it was scary.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Thanks. It seems to be getting worse every year with all the new dirt piling up. When it was flat they used to ride mules over it.
Sean

Post by Sean »

CrazyHermit wrote: Thanks. It seems to be getting worse every year with all the new dirt piling up. When it was flat they used to ride mules over it.
Is there any point to restoring it, and how much could be fixed up without installing hardware?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

It doesn't go anywhere, so I'd say no reason to restore it. Could be done though with some shovels. The rock base is still sound.
Sean

Post by Sean »

CrazyHermit wrote: It doesn't go anywhere, so I'd say no reason to restore it. Could be done though with some shovels. The rock base is still sound.
Yeah, I have better tools for removing the scree but it doesn't sound like a good use of time and energy.
walker

Post by walker »

Thank you for this! Wonderful video production as usual and nice sound mix! In addition to the suspenseful music, the sound of crunching twigs and pebbles sliding as you step across some particularly delicate spots just heightens the experience.

The trail seems like a pretty major investment of labor to just let wither and erode, but maybe the roads/trails in the canyon bottom weren't so good when it was built? Once the road reached further up, it must have become just another "obsolete" trail.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

That trail was originally supposed to go all the way to the Forks Dam, which would have been the largest in the world, but it was never completed. There was an entire construction city built near the merge of the three forks above the narrows. Also believe it or not there was a railroad that went up the east fork to bring construction equipment in, but of course that washed away. If you look in the grass near Heaton Flat you can still find pieces of heavy gauge rail from the railroad track. There was also a second trail that started in Susanna Canyon and went to the same place. I've been up part of that one, it's in much better shape.
walker

Post by walker »

I'd never heard of that Forks Dam project. It's kind of crazy the number of major infrastructure projects that were foiled by this canyon! Forks Dam, Bridge to Nowhere, Schoemaker Road, not to mention all of the mining history carved out of the canyon walls. I guess in flush times, optimism fuels these kinds of efforts until the accelerated pace of geology and weather in the range puts things into perspective. Thanks!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

The San Gabriel Mountains are harsh. The Mt. Lowe Railway was completely wiped out by fires, flood and wind. Nothing survives for long in those canyons.
Nate U

Post by Nate U »

Most mountain ranges if you build a road 110 years ago chances are you can hike along it now without a care in the world. Not the San Gabriels - a WHOLE lot of erosion can and will happen in 110 years. These mountains are crumbling, unstable beasts of shattered basement rock. Gnarly route!