Henninger Highpoint

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I had been to Henninger Flats numerous times, but never to the highpoint (~2960').

Screenshot_20230118-054659~2.png

Yesterday was the day for correcting that mistake. I ascended the Mt. Wilson Toll Road, passing several large landslides.

DSC09474.JPG

They should send the dozer up this road ASAP because Murph needs to tend to his signage at the campground. One of his "no littering" signs has fallen on the ground and blown into a bush, becoming litter.

I continued up the Toll Road to a saddle just east of the highpoint. This is the main junction before leaving Henninger if you're continuing toward Wilson to the right. Turning left instead, the Helipad Road passes a split where you can follow an animal track up the ridge to the highpoint.

DSC09430.JPG

Right now the ridge is full of green grass and there are some trees to enjoy. Near the top is a water guzzler with a view.

DSC09436.JPG

At the summit a water tank sits alone.

DSC09443_stitch.jpg

It was so cold in the shadows at Henninger camp that my toes started freezing. (It didn't help that I was only wearing hiking sandals and light-duty cotton socks on my feet.) So the sunlight at the peak felt good and warmed me up.

I took in the views of Mt. Wilson in one direction and the coastline in the other. I then dropped down the other side to the helipad.

DSC09446.JPG

The helipad was still partially covered in pools of rainwater. I then caught the road back to civilization. Many groups were heading up to Henninger while I descended. I suppose people had been itching to hike after a weekend of raining.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thats a lot of work/suffering :) .
Murph, the concerned citizen, graduate of Pasadena Arboretum.
We were all Murph once...:)
He wanted to break free from the Arboretum...despite their excellent plumeria display.
I bet he also knows they have the numbers.
Theyre coming to mess things up or god knows what.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Did you stop by and check out that little fenced in area just above the heliport?

This is what was in there 2010-05-22. I'm thinking now that it is/was a 'squatch incubator.
IMG_6999.jpg
IMG_7000.jpg
IMG_6997.jpg
IMG_6996.jpg
IMG_6998.jpg
IMG_6994.jpg
David R

Post by David R »

There is a firebreak that goes straight up from Henninger's in the far SW corner that is a lot faster. If you take the shortcut up to Henninger's from the fire road, you will be right next to it.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

David R wrote: There is a firebreak that goes straight up from Henninger's in the far SW corner that is a lot faster. If you take the shortcut up to Henninger's from the fire road, you will be right next to it.
I'll second David's recommendation. I took that firebreak on the way down from the heliport back in 2010. It drops you off in the rarely visited western portion of the flats that has a nice nature trail running through the woods. It connects with the main area of the flats near the nature center/museum.

Looking up the firebreak...

IMG_7004.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: Did you stop by and check out that little fenced in area just above the heliport?
I saw it but didn't give it much thought. You're probably right, it looks like something related to Bigfoot.
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: There is a firebreak that goes straight up from Henninger's in the far SW corner that is a lot faster.
Yes, I've been on the road to the SW corner. Some day I'll try the shortcut trail and the firebreak. Looks like an interesting route.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW~ wrote: Thats a lot of work/suffering :) .
Murph, the concerned citizen, graduate of Pasadena Arboretum.
We were all Murph once...:)
He wanted to break free from the Arboretum...despite their excellent plumeria display.
I bet he also knows they have the numbers.
Theyre coming to mess things up or god knows what.
We must stop the Arboretumafia.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Where did you get the girly mask?
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: There is a firebreak that goes straight up from Henninger's in the far SW corner that is a lot faster.
We came down the firebreak this time and dropped to the nature trail back to the visitor center. At some point I'll try the shortcut up from the main road.

IMG_20230216_123627766_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230216_130411107.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote:
We came down the firebreak this time and dropped to the nature trail back to the visitor center. At some point I'll try the shortcut up from the main road.

IMG_20230216_123627766_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230216_130411107.jpg
A lot fewer trees than in 2010 it seems...

2010/5/22...

IMG_7003.jpg
IMG_7023.jpg