EAST MT FUJI & IDLEHOUR

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On Sunday, Sean and I got up early to do some hiking. The plan was to hike with him to Idlehour Camp and then hike back solo. We started at the Pinecrest gate then hiked up to Henninger Flats for a short break. We continued on the Mt. Wilson toll road. I was very excited because it had been years since I hiked to Idelhour camp from Henninger. As I was hiking up the road, it brought back lots of memories of when I used to hike with Tim who was an organizer for a meetup group when I first started hiking.

Anyways, the road is boring but then we saw a family of deer grazing by the side of the road so, that was pretty cool. As we approached the fork in the road, It all started to come back to me. Damn! I need to climb up, then drop back down to the camp, and then back up. I really wasn't looking forward to the steep ascent even though it was only 700 feet of gain.

I was quite pleased being surrounded by beautiful fall colors at the campsite. There was lots of water flowing in the creek. We spoke briefly with one camper who stayed the night before and was heading out to five points. After a nice peaceful lunch, I left Sean and headed out back to the main road. The ascent was a piece of cake and before I knew it, I was back on the road. I think the array of fall colors in the canyon eased my mind.

Sean suggested that I check out East Mt. Fuji since I had never been there. I hiked further up the Mt. Wilson toll road and soon arrived at the saddle. I saw a few bikers on the road. As I was making my way toward the summit, I took a wrong turn and followed a used path to the left which led to a false summit. However, someone put cairns up there so I'm assuming that others have mistaken this bump for the real peak.

After figuring out that I had to turn back and go the other way, I found the correct route. Also, Sean had mentioned earlier that there was communication stuff up at the top. There is no real trail up there so you just have to find your way. It wasn't too overgrown but there were signs of a recent fire. I found brand new fire hoses around the burnt area.

I finally arrived at the summit. Along the way are high-voltage warning signs. At the high point was lots of communication stuff. (I guess Sean was right) What I found interesting was all the batteries under the panels. I had never seen that before. It looked as if they were untouched by the fire. I also found a camera that was knocked over and I put it back upright.

After getting my fill, I took a break at the saddle under a tree to admire the awesome views. It was time to leave and I continued to descend the road back to Henninger. I was the only hiker on the trails since I left Idlehour camp. The goal was to beat the sunset and not hike in the dark back to my car.

Overall, it was such a beautiful day and I thoroughly enjoyed my solitude.
20221127_133354.jpg
20221127_135229.jpg
20221127_132916.jpg
20221127_132647.jpg
20221127_132552.jpg
20221127_105716.jpg
20221127_105421.jpg
20221127_101736.jpg
20221127_095431.jpg
20221127_085057.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

20221127_132628.jpg

20221127_133337.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Your "false summit" was actually the summit (3681'). It's confusing because the top is long and flat, a bit like Wright Mountain.

Here's my Peakbagger entry from a few years ago.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice day out on the trails if you ask me.

I went up to E. Mt. Fuji back in 2010. I took the abandoned but obvious road bed from Henninger that goes around the south side of E. Fuji, wraps around the east end and stops near upper reaches of Pasadena Glen just below the saddle that Mt. Wilson road crosses (where you were). I then went straight up through the brush to E. Fuji, then took Mt. Wilson Toll Road down.

There wasn't any communication stuff up there.

Map of area...
IMG_6201.jpg

A few pics from up top...
- E. Fuji...
IMG_6207.jpg
-E. Fuji and the rest of the summit area...
IMG_6208a.jpg

-a survey thingy ma bob at the west end of flat-topped summit (in the trees at the left of the previous pic)...
IMG_6212.jpg

The route I took...
track 2010-02-13b.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: I went up to E. Mt. Fuji back in 2010. I took the abandoned but obvious road bed from Henninger that goes around the south side of E. Fuji, wraps around the east end and stops near upper reaches of Pasadena Glen just below the saddle that Mt. Wilson road crosses (where you were). I then went straight up through the brush to E. Fuji, then took Mt. Wilson Toll Road down.
Oh, I've been looking for a reason to explore that old road. Thanks for the loop idea.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Awww I didn't see the survey marker!
JakubRZ

Post by JakubRZ »

I was just there myself yesterday evening. So quiet and cool up there. The sunset from Mt Fuji was nice. The descent in the dark...meh, but I got it done and it was worth it. Saw a few hikers and mtn bikers ascending in the dark.
Approaching Henninger
Approaching Henninger
Looking down on Henninger
Looking down on Henninger
Fuji Sunset
Fuji Sunset
Fuji2.jpg
Fuji1.jpg
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice pics! I will have to go up there for the sunset.