Where did I hike to this Sunday?

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
David R

Post by David R »

Let's make this a little more interesting. See below pics from where I hiked to yesterday, apologies certain directions were hazy. Where was I yesterday?

Hints:

1. Located in the Angeles National Forest
2. Haven't seen a write-up of it on this site.
3. Peak is over 5,000 feet high.
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Hmm. 1st pic looks like Gleason, but not the 2nd and 3rd...
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The bottom pic is Strawberry peak? So then peak 5146?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Barley Flats?
David R

Post by David R »

AW~ wrote: The bottom pic is Strawberry peak? So then peak 5146?
That is correct, first pic looking north towards Gleason, next pic looking east towards Round Top. It is odd to be at the low point completely surrounded by peaks that are higher than you are. There is a sign-in can on the peak from last year, I was second signature.
dima

Post by dima »

Neat! How did you approach? Conditions?
David R

Post by David R »

Started off Mt Gleason Road up the east ridge to Little Gleason Point. This is the most difficult section as it is covered by buckthorn but there are clearings and a slight use trail, just wear heavy pants or you're going to get scratched up. From here follow an old firebreak down to the peak that is relatively clear. The last steep drop to the saddle you have to drop off the east ridge and then contour around to the saddle. It is a little difficult to follow especially on the way back with the amount of growth and remember most of your elevation gain is on the way back The peak feels pretty remote even with all the fire roads around you. It is about 1,500 elevation gain and took about 2.5 hours.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Here is the peak..on the right. On a day, where upper big tujunga canyon was closed. So then it was project anorthosite...but what does that look like?
I thought it was black, but its milky white. I still think I saw some, on this black and white rock.

whatever this is, its pretty rare rock, the purplelish one.
P1010363.JPG
P1010360.JPG