CNF trails & water update

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

[Split from Blue Ridge Road thread. The fire referenced is the 2022 Sheep Fire. --Admin]

Is there a fire? Or is it out? Is the smoke bad? Or is it just fine? Is the road open or is the road closed? Yeesh. This morning's Inciweb report was no help. It was just boilerplate with no updates. :(

In the light of continued uncertainty, we've decided to go down to the Cleveland National Forest (Ortega Hwy). It's probably for the best given that a couple of the people in our group haven't been backpacking since last summer (not that I'm in such great shape).

I'll try to post some kind of a trip report because you are no doubt just dying to hear about the CNF.

HJ
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I'll try to post some kind of a trip report because you are no doubt just dying to hear about the CNF.
Actually I'm curious to hear something from that neck of the woods. I haven't been there in years.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: I'll try to post some kind of a trip report because you are no doubt just dying to hear about the CNF.
Actually I'm curious to hear something from that neck of the woods. I haven't been there in years.
We'll have to quarantine your TR though for 10 days unless it tests negative for Covid National Forest.

God that's stupid...I need a martini.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sean wrote:
I'll post when I can.
I expect:
  • The trail out to Four Corners will be a well beaten path because of the popularity of Sitton Peak.
  • The Verdugo Trail and particularly the Bluewater Trail will not be so well trodden. The Bluewater Trail is farther from trailheads and has a reputation for being unpleasantly steep, so it doesn't get a lot of use. I like how it sucks. ;) Some have described the Bluewater Trail as hard to follow which is one reason I'm doing the route counter clockwise -- so I'll be going downhill on a faint trail.
  • I doubt that there will be any water sources except in San Mateo Canyon which is pretty rock-solid reliable -- although with a couple more years of drought, who knows? Pigeon "Spring" is more like Pigeon Dust, 'cause there's never any water there. Maybe (maybe) I'll be surprised by the creek that bisects the Verdugo trail or by some of the springs marked on the map in the Oak Flats area, but I doubt it in this drought year.
  • I expect that San Mateo Creek won't be flowing (above ground) much except in rocky sections and the weird section where the creek is always flowing -- where the trail crosses just upstream with the junction with the North Tenaja Trail.
  • I expect that the pools will be reasonably full and reasonably clear (as opposed to stagnant and barely hanging in there. In late season, I've seen them be down 5 to 7 feet down from full and the water gets noticeably brown from the tannic acid from the oaks trees.
  • The N Tenaja trail will be more well used than the Bluewater Trail. It's the shortest route into San Mateo Canyon from Ortega Hwy -- two miles shorter than by the Verdugo and Bluewater Trails.
Hopefully one of the more desirable sites will be unoccupied, but just getting out will make it great no matter which site I wind up at for the night. A brimful swimming hole (fingers crossed) would make things all the better.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Updates:
  • As expected, the trail to Four Corners was all but a freeway. Past the turn off to very popular Sitton Peak, we saw not even one person other than those in our party.
  • The Verdugo Trail was eminently followable albeit a tad in need of maintenance. The first part of the Bluewater Trail (labeled the "Oak Flats Trail" on the topo map near the trailhead) was in great shape; it's getting a lot of equestrian traffic, presumably from the little community of Rancho Carillo. The Bluewater Trail down into Bluewater Canyon was fine although clearly not frequently travelled. There were some unmarked trails (both unmarked by signs as well as not shown on my topo map) splitting off, so one had to pay a bit of attention. Once down in Bluewater Canyon, the trail was less clear, but, if going counter clockwise (recommended), just going downstream is sufficient to connect one to the main trail in the area, the San Mateo Trail. If going clockwise, one could potentially miss the exit point of the trail from the canyon bottom.
  • As expected, the only recoverable water was in San Mateo Canyon. Pigeon Spring was dampish, but it was full of bees. Water recovery there would be an act of desperation.
  • As expected, San Mateo Creek was not flowing above ground except where it goes over bedrock. The "weird section" just upstream of the junction with the North Tenaja Trail where the water usually flows above ground was actually dry, much to my disappointment.
  • The pools were reasonably full but weren't all that clear. There was a lot of algae. The pool we camped near was about 2 feet lower than it had been when I was there in March. Still, there was plenty of recoverable water, indeed, there was enough to swim in; the water was up to my neck. One did have to dodge the algae though.
  • Unexpectedly, the N Tenaja Trail was not more used than the Bluewater Trail even though it's the shortest route into San Mateo Canyon from the Bear Canyon Trailhead. The section along the ridge leading up to Four Corners was quite overgrown in spots, though it was followable throughout. I speculate that the presence of the little community of Rancho Carillo keeps the trails around Oak Flats more open. In addition, there's more shade on the Bluewater Trail than there is on the N Tenaja Trail. Depending on the time of day, the N Tenaja Trail will have no shade at all.
I'm glad I did the trip; it's a trip I've been wanting to do for some time, but I wouldn't do it again in June. The best season for San Mateo Canyon is March - April. In June, it was just too freaking hot even though thermometer highs were in the 70's. Actual highs in chaparral country are much higher because the chaparral absorbs and radiates heat. Whenever the breeze would blow, we could feel that the air temperature was cool and pleasant. When the air was still, we sweltered. I carried 3.6 L (0.95 US gallons) the first day, 11 miles, and ran out of water a mile before our campsite. When I got back to the car on day 2, I drank two bottles of Gatorade straight, but didn't have to go to the bathroom until after I got home a couple of hours later. We just sweated the whole time. Nice trip, but too hot this time of year.

Trip report on Reddit:
I'll post pics here too if I get a chance although Tapatalk does a nice job of gridding here the photos posted on Reddit.

Update: I posted more info and more pics in a trip report in the "Other Ranges - California" section.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:
Sean wrote:
We'll have to quarantine your TR though for 10 days unless it tests negative for Covid National Forest.
@HikeUp ,

I seriously hope nobody catches the bug for the San Mateo Canyon Wilderness -- at least not this time of year. Although, I must say, a martini (or five), would go a long way in helping one get there; one would definitely need something were one to go this time of year.

I think we're safe though. No one in their right mind would try to outdo my stupidity and go there even further into summer. ?

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Water level comparison photos, photos all taken at the same place.
  • The first photo is from January, 2021. We hadn't gotten any rain yet that year.
  • The second photo is from January 2022. We had had some good rains recently at that point.
  • The third photo is from June 2022.
June 2022
June 2022
January 2022
January 2022
January 2021 (before any rain that season)
January 2021 (before any rain that season)