Pallet, Will Thrall and surrounding Peaks - Oct 20th

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Most likely heading out to do some of these peaks from Buckhorn this Saturday. Anybody interested in joining, just let me know...
Travis

Post by Travis »

luciano136 wrote:Most likely heading out to do some of these peaks from Buckhorn this Saturday. Anybody interested in joining, just let me know...
When you say surrounding peaks, does that include Goodykontz? I still need to hike this one. What route are you planning? A tough one is to combine Williamson, Pallet, Will Thral, Pleasant View Ridge and Goodykontz all in one, and you can loop it and avoid the area that is closed for the endangered spotted tree frogs. But there is a lot of ups and downs involved. When we did it, it was too hot and we skipepd Goodykontz.

But looking at the calendar I can't Saturday,
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

I have to look a little more into it but I believe the ones I had in mind were Pallett, Willthrall and Pleasant View Ridge.

Never heard of Goodykontz, I'll have to check that one out ...
Travis

Post by Travis »

luciano136 wrote:I have to look a little more into it but I believe the ones I had in mind were Pallett, Willthrall and Pleasant View Ridge.

Never heard of Goodykontz, I'll have to check that one out ...
Here is the page with GPS Tracks of our route, in GPX and KMZ formats.

http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/mountwilliamsonloop

However, this route now goes through the closed area, so you either need to detour over Goodykontz or out through Buckhorn Campsite.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I was just looking at the Map and remembered the confusion I had locating Pleasant View Ridge. I understood that the "peak" listed on the HPS website was at the location indicated "pallet" on the map. However, the Pleasant View Ridge is shown on the map comming off of Mount Williamson. Anyone know for sure?

ALso, this map shows Goodykontz.

Click to see full size image
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

As far as the ridge itself, the USGS designation is for a big chunk of territory: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... ze=l&s=200

The high point as I understand it is: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG It says "Pallet" on it, but that's just the name of the VABM marker.

The USGS named peak is at: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG

Lastly Will Thrall is at: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG

Clear as mud? :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I think Goodykoontz usta' be Buckhorn Mountain, as for the name.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Buckhorn Peak is now called Mt. Akawie by the Sierra Club.

Goodykoontz is what the Sierra Club calls a heretofore unnamed peak south east of Pallett. It is just north of the FROG zone (map) (pdf files).
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

It's kind of interesting how HPS (and everyone else for that matter) decides what a peak is.

I've always thought it odd that the summit on Pleasant View Ridge between Pallet and Williamson has no name even though it has about 300' of prominence: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... ize=l&s=24

Interesting also is that Goodykontz is here: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... ize=l&s=25
but not the slightly higher peak just north: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=34. ... &layer=DRG Goodykoontz is actually just a bump off of the peak to the north which are both just bumps off the ridge from the first peak I mentioned that gets no name at all.

Humans are very subjective creatures are they not?

In any event, those are all nice peaks in that area. Once you get away from the trail heads and the immediate destination, you should have some good "away time" without crowds. Enjoy. :)
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Wow, lots of reactions here :shock:

Haven't had time to go through all the links but I'm thinking the following:

* Burkhart trail from Buckhorn to Burkhart saddle, then doing Pallett and Willthrall.

OR

* Burkhart trail from Buckhorn to Burkhart saddle, willthrall, pallett, pleasant view ridge, williamson and down to Islip (is the road open to Islip btw??).

Last one will depend if my friend feels like the loop and if the road is actually open to Islip saddle...
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Travis wrote:I was just looking at the Map and remembered the confusion I had locating Pleasant View Ridge. I understood that the "peak" listed on the HPS website was at the location indicated "pallet" on the map. However, the Pleasant View Ridge is shown on the map comming off of Mount Williamson. Anyone know for sure?

ALso, this map shows Goodykontz.

Click to see full size image
Is the blue line on the map actually a trail or is it completely x-country?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The blue line is XC, but it's pretty open -- at least on the ridge top. I haven't done the S face of Goodykoontz. The lower part of the blue line is under forest closure, the part that goes through Little Rock Creek.

There is a trail to Burkhart Saddle, and I understand it's not under closure.

The trail shown leading west along Pleasant View Ridge doesn't really exist anymore although there are a lot of use trails up there.

The PCT climbs the shoulder of Mt. Williamson but doesn't reallly reach the summit, but there is a use trail to the top so big that you can't miss it. The whole PVR ridge from Williamson to Burkhart saddle is XC but with clear use trail.

Part of the red line which travels along the PCT on Travis' map south of Burkhart Saddle east of a junction at the very southern edge of the map is also under closure if I'm understanding the closure area correctly.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Cool! Thx!

I have done Williamson over the PCT before. Indeed no trail to the summit. Here are a few shots...

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/ ... th%202006/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like some good hiking. I bailed one time on Williamson. Really icy conditions. Hadn't brought any equipment. I could kick through, but I looked down at the rocks below and asked myself what the he|| I was doing. One slip, no way to stop. I backed off and had a nice stroll over on Hillyer.

Hope your backcountry ramble goes well. Nice country overy there. Too bad frog closure. Going up Williamson west route, traversing over to Burkhart saddle, descending to Little Rock Creek and then exiting via the PCT through Eagle's Roost and walking back to the car is a nice shuttle free loop. Still doable but now much more walk on road since you have to exit through Buckhorn CG.
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Yeah, I wasn't expecting any snow back then as most of the San Gabriels was relatively dry. I actually did lose the trail because I missed a switchback and ended up on a steep slope; luckily I could get back ok...
Augie

Post by Augie »

Travis wrote:I was just looking at the Map and remembered the confusion I had locating Pleasant View Ridge. I understood that the "peak" listed on the HPS website was at the location indicated "pallet" on the map. However, the Pleasant View Ridge is shown on the map comming off of Mount Williamson. Anyone know for sure?
The peak, Pleasant View Ridge, is the one NW of Will Thrall Peak where the topo shows the elevation marker "Pallet." What you probably saw coming off of Williamson was the map's general designation of the entire ridge; Pleasant View Ridge stretches quite a ways.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Hikin_Jim wrote:The blue line is XC, but it's pretty open -- at least on the ridge top. I haven't done the S face of Goodykoontz. The lower part of the blue line is under forest closure, the part that goes through Little Rock Creek.
Rattlesnake Trail runs east to Eagles Roost through the area that is currently under closure. Starting at the Burkhart Trailhead, you run into Rattlesnake Trail at a junction with the Burkhart Trail just after crossing Little Rock Creek. The Burkhart Trail continues north to Burkhart Saddle. When I was there last Saturday, the closure sign seemed to me to be ambigously placed as far as warning hikers to stay off the Rattlesnake Trail.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Augie wrote:...the closure sign seemed to me to be ambigously placed as far as warning hikers to stay off the Rattlesnake Trail.
You've got that right. I was down there a couple of months ago, and the sign was not clear at all. This map clarifies things some: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/documen ... ibit-B.pdf

Basically the closure affects the PCT from Eagle's Roost down Little Rock Creek to just short of the aforementioned junction. The Burkhart trail, Goodykoontz, Mt. Williamson, PVR, Cooper Canyon, and the trail from Buckhorn are all "in the clear."
luciano136

Post by luciano136 »

Well, we decided to to Will Thrall peak and keep Pallett for when we want to do the loop. Very nice day out! A little breeze with warm sunshine.

This a great training hike; lots of up and downs and a good short steep section up Will Thrall. I actually ran pretty low on energy (didn't bring a lot of food) and we decided to keep it at Will Thrall...

Also met Mountain Impulse on his way down from Will Thrall...