Baldy zen resort

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Or something like that. We’ve talked a few times about access in this area, I wonder if all the millions of dollars will help to repair the parking area at Cow Canyon Saddle.

https://www.dirt.com/gallery/more-dirt/ ... 203373438/
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Did someone say "bungalows"?
Among the offerings that can be expected: plunge pools meandering around expansive boulders; walking and hiking trails; a wildlife refuge for native species, specifically indigenous goats; hot springs; labyrinth gardens; and equestrian facilities. Additional plans call for 60-70 luxury private bungalows ranging from 2,000 to 5,000 square feet, along with a pool, children’s playground, yoga and meditation pavilions, an amphitheater, wine cellars curated by an expert sommelier, a spa and wellness center, and a trio of restaurants serving American, Chinese and French cuisine.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Where is it going to be? They say 5000 ft elevation. The only material I can find by googling is PR puff pieces that don't give a location.
dima

Post by dima »

This was a confusing post for me. There actually already is a "zen center" up there: it's just below Manker Flat. THIS is an entirely different thing, it looks like.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Some Chinese cash is being flashed by the 'rv park'. He talks big thats for sure....but he has another development to go first. A $100 million dollar home. If he lifts that off the ground than hes crazy enough to build this here.

He relays a story about how no one gets in the way in China...and how to break balls here on a coastal development...that took him 6 years. I think this is going to a whole nother battle. He likes getting a bargain like this and then waiting....they have a lot of these ghost cities in China.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

I wonder what the folks at Thompson Ranch think about it.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

I don't like it. The last thing Mt. Baldy needs is a massive development that will bring more traffic and clueless tourists. This isn't going to bring in any more people who respect our mountains (who are always welcome). This caters to those who can't bear to leave behind their cushy lifestyle to experience nature, instead of being welcoming to everyone who is ready to respect it. The mountains aren't anyone's Disneyland. If you need a luxury resort to experience nature, you don't deserve to be there in the first place.

There's already enough development in our mountains already. The areas we have that don't see heavy foot traffic are small enough. This will eliminate Cattle Canyon as one of those rare areas.

What our mountains don't need is a playground for the rich. We don't need more developments in natural areas (76 acres for the initial phase of this thing!), traffic clogging the road, or clueless hikers who think they're experienced because they bought all their gear at REI. This isn't about health, wellness, or zen. Nobody needs an expensive five-star resort for that.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Blaise wrote: This will eliminate Cattle Canyon as one of those rare areas.
So is that where they're proposing it? --
https://goo.gl/maps/A5nz7jup8vCWAkuC9

Making zen Buddhism into a commodity does seem to me like the most ridiculous thing ever, since one of the main teachings of Buddhism is that selfish desire is the cause of suffering, and that people should not allow themselves to become attached to things, especially things like material objects. I'm not saying I completely buy the Buddhist analysis of all this, but calling something a luxury zen resort makes about as much sense as announcing a Hindu dude ranch or a Jewish pig farm. There are already several wilderness zen retreats and monasteries in So Cal, including the one at Manker, one west of Idyllwild, and one in the Desert Divide area. The "accomodations," as I understand them, are things like little sheds in the woods where you sit and meditate.

But I think it's important to be careful about how we advocate against development. Anything that sounds like elitism can be counterproductive.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

So is that where they're proposing it? --

https://goo.gl/maps/A5nz7jup8vCWAkuC9
It looks like it's the property on cow canyon saddle from the video in that article: https://goo.gl/maps/uBeJLyyTzid9Vz2T9
dima

Post by dima »

The mouth of Cattle Canyon is public land, so they'd need a permit from the ANF. The Cow Canyon saddle area is private, so they could do whatever. caltopo has a layer to see that, for the curious.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ahh....how could I miss the benefits of hydrotherapy?
Got a mountain festival award...I think it was Aspen.
Get your woke credentials while you can.

Men are allowed....watch them get their redemption in the wilds/wilderness.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Wokeness causes shrinkage?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Wokeness causes shrinkage?
I think they just put a sock there....no shrinkage.
Emperor has no clothes as they say.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

For rent:
https://www.showcase.com/30601-glendora ... /22488958/
In other words: cancelled.
Now what?