Update on Me

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

Hey guys, it has been a privilege over the last nine years or so to be part of this small but inclusive group of hikers with an unhealthy obsession with our local mountains. I am hoping that this will not be my last post but I was just diagnosed with a terminal cancer and may not be around much longer. Best case scenario will be five years and worst is only six months but I'm sure that for much of that time, I won't be able to hike the way I used to. Really happy I got back up on top of Mt. Whitney one last time, that'll stay with me. Anyway I'll try and post any interesting hikes that I do get the chance to take before the end. I will still read the site and enjoy vicariously the adventures.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

David R wrote:Hey guys, it has been a privilege over the last nine years or so to be part of this small but inclusive group of hikers with an unhealthy obsession with our local mountains. I am hoping that this will not be my last post but I was just diagnosed with a terminal cancer and may not be around much longer. Best case scenario will be five years and worst is only six months but I'm sure that for much of that time, I won't be able to hike the way I used to. Really happy I got back up on top of Mt. Whitney one last time, that'll stay with me. Anyway I'll try and post any interesting hikes that I do get the chance to take before the end. I will still read the site and enjoy vicariously the adventures.
Much love David. Love reading your posts and look forward to reading new ones for years to come!!! Get well soon!
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

what jeko1034 said...so sorry to hear that news...

oldcoot
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm extremely sad to here that, David. I hope you get the five or more years of hiking and writing trip reports. I always enjoy your stories, and I still have some of your routes on my to-do list. Let me know if there's anything we can do for you.
Gene

Post by Gene »

David R wrote: Hey guys, it has been a privilege over the last nine years or so to be part of this small but inclusive group of hikers with an unhealthy obsession with our local mountains. I am hoping that this will not be my last post but I was just diagnosed with a terminal cancer and may not be around much longer. Best case scenario will be five years and worst is only six months but I'm sure that for much of that time, I won't be able to hike the way I used to. Really happy I got back up on top of Mt. Whitney one last time, that'll stay with me. Anyway I'll try and post any interesting hikes that I do get the chance to take before the end. I will still read the site and enjoy vicariously the adventures.
I am so sorry, cancer sucks. Prayers for you and your family.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Oh man, this isn't what I wanted to read this morning. So sorry David. I've enjoyed your reliably entertaining TRs and hiking with you and your boy. Fingers crossed that it ends up being way more than 5 years. Stay strong my friend. DM me if you need anything. ?