Camp Huntington Road Gate

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

Went to do West Fuji, started up Huntington Road and at the first fork there is a new big metal electronic gate. Pick up truck left as I was going up and made sure that I didn't enter. People that set this gate up are either idiots or didn't get permission from the other residents as an easy bypass into the wash and around the one home affected can be done. A gate at the start of the road would've kept people out, now people get to make more noise thrashing around in the wash to get to the trail, not smart.

Worse news, the register at the top of West Fuji is gone probably destroyed by the same idiots that put up the gate. Even worse news some schmucks on the Echo Mountain trail decided to spray paint as much rock as they could in purple. Purple can you imagine that, an embarrassment to taggers everywhere. I'm sure the same idiots that put up the gate. Finally in the worst news, the lower trail connector back to Rubio from Echo Mountain has become a toilet. That's right people that can't control their bowels believe this spot is a place to take a crap and not actually a trail. There is poo and toilet paper all around the start of the bypass trail and you know who did this too. Reminds me of the start of the Glendale Peak trail in Griffith Park where people think it is a spot to urinate and smells like an outhouse. As you can tell I had a great time on this hike, can't wait to get out again and see some changes to my favorite haunts.
dima

Post by dima »

Tragic. Just so that I'm clear, where's the gate, exactly? It's not on Loma Alta, but a bit inside? Is it gating off the house or the water company stuff? Is going around the gate the "recommended" approach would you say? You could instead start on the Altadena crest trail, a bit E of there. Probably.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Idiot hikers were taking the wrong driveway and violating the privacy of the new homeowners, so they put up the gate. Or so the story goes. You can use the other two entrances at 1101 E Loma Alta and the Rubio Canyon Trailhead. They're not as direct but they're legal.
David R

Post by David R »

Sean wrote: Idiot hikers were taking the wrong driveway and violating the privacy of the new homeowners, so they put up the gate. Or so the story goes. You can use the other two entrances at 1101 E Loma Alta and the Rubio Canyon Trailhead. They're not as direct but they're legal.
There was plenty of options for the homeowners to guide the hikers on the right route with a couple of signs like what happens in other private areas. The gate is completely ineffectual as well, it literally accomplishes nothing and will result in more noise. A couple of signs showing the route and saying to respect the homeowners, would've been much more productive.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

David R wrote: There was plenty of options for the homeowners to guide the hikers on the right route with a couple of signs like what happens in other private areas. The gate is completely ineffectual as well, it literally accomplishes nothing and will result in more noise. A couple of signs showing the route and saying to respect the homeowners, would've been much more productive.
Thought this was a satire.........but you are dealing with .... that sign filled up every inch with graffiti and in a dumpster. Its the road to mighty. Better would be the road to crazy. You did see the critical race theory in purple? Bruh...watch it ....turn a different look. ....tik toc style. First!
Sean

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: A couple of signs showing the route and saying to respect the homeowners, would've been much more productive.
I wish they had tried that first. Some of the locals are working on this problem, but it can take years to resolve these access issues.