'Gorging' film - first screening in SoCal (Big Bear)

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Local canyoneer and filmmaker Brian Olliver produced this film over the last several years. Most in the canyoneering 'community' (such as it is) are already aware of it, but for those interested, it will be shown in the Big Bear Film Festival on Sunday Sept 22nd at 10:30am.

Details:

http://gorgingmovie.com/screenings/

I'm promoting it because it is extremely well done, covers a lot of local San Gabriel locations and subjects of interest, and because I was the sound designer and editor. :)

It's entertaining, thought provoking, and exciting. There will hopefully be other screenings in LA, but due to the nature of the city & film industry here, it's incredibly cost-prohibitive and taking longer than expected to find venues. So grab your chance now and check it out in Big Bear.

Trailer:

https://vimeo.com/50654250
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sounds great!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Of course it's the one weekend I'm totally out of town. Harumph.

Of course I got to go up to Mammoth and play in the fresh snow. I guess I can't complain too much.

No word I suppose of any other showings anywhere around? Ventura is cheap. :)

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

This film is now on Amazon Prime for free. It's really amazing. Nice shots of Little Santa Anita Canyon and a lot of stuff in Utah I've never heard of.

Highly entertaining and recommended.
dima

Post by dima »

Anyone got a copy? This is only "free" if you bought an Amazon Prime subscription.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

dima wrote: Anyone got a copy? This is only "free" if you bought an Amazon Prime subscription.
Amazon Prime has a 30 day free trial, so you could sign up, binge a bunch of movies then cancel before being billed.
Taco

Post by Taco »

dima wrote: Anyone got a copy? This is only "free" if you bought an Amazon Prime subscription.
Wanna borrow my blueray?
dima

Post by dima »

I only accept 5.25" floppies.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I will load this movie onto seventeen thousand 5.25”s. I may have a spare drive in the garage next to the pile of bike frames. I wish I was kidding.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: I will load this movie onto seventeen thousand 5.25”s. I may have a spare drive in the garage next to the pile of bike frames. I wish I was kidding.
That made me laugh so hard.

Taco

Post by Taco »

Wanna help me do it?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: Wanna help me do it?
Sure, and I checked your math, seventeen thousand (360KB) diskettes sounds about right for a 90-minute blu-ray. Of course the hard part will be editing a 5GB-file into 180KB chunks. (The 360KB diskettes are double-sided.) Maybe Dima can whip up a program to help us automate that process. Oh, and a box of ten diskettes runs about ten bucks on Ebay. Do you happen to have $17,000 in a shoebox under your bed? I'll check my couch cushions but I doubt I have enough to cover the expenses.
dima

Post by dima »

Boy do I have good news for you. 360KB is the capacity of the original 5.25" floppy, but at some point in the 1980s, the higher-density disks came out that could store a whopping 1.2MB! That is 1.2 MILLION bytes, or almost 10 MILLION bits. That's a lot.
Sean

Post by Sean »

That IS good news! So we'd only need about four or five thousand of those. Also that would make for a much better viewing experience. Instead of changing out standard disks every quarter-second or so of the movie, we might actually get close to a full second of playing time on each high-density disk.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Can we slave-chain that many drives so you don’t have to move at all when each disk is done?
Gene

Post by Gene »

On the next to the last floppy disk, "Disk error abort or retry"
Sean

Post by Sean »

This was one of the family computers when I was a kid. It now makes a great shelf in my garage.
20210116_103338~2.jpg

And nearby are the boxes of diskettes with my old school work and fiction stories and poetry about girls.
20210116_103352~2.jpg

I hereby donate my old junk for use in the "Gorging on 5.25s" project.
jfr

Post by jfr »

My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
dima

Post by dima »

I'm confused. Why do you have Apple-branded "DOS 3.3 sample programs for II, IIe and IIc"? What does that even mean?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

The original Apple system software was known as Apple DOS.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
dima

Post by dima »

The Apple II software? Those machines didn't have hard disks. There was a BASIC interpreter in the BIOS, or you could run applications by booting into them from diskettes. There was a "DOS" you could run from a diskette? 3.3 was a very common version of MS-DOS. It's all meant to confuse.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: I'm confused. Why do you have Apple-branded "DOS 3.3 sample programs for II, IIe and IIc"? What does that even mean?
I'd have to acquire an Apple II to tell you which programs are on the diskette, if it still works. The thing is in great condition, but it's 37 years old.

In the mid-80s, my dad bought a Laser 128 (Apple II clone), but it died. We just have the Compaq now. Also, my dad taught high school math, and the school used Apple IIs. The diskette might have been for those machines. They had two floppy drives. You would put the DOS disk in one and your storage disk in the other. Does that make sense?
dima

Post by dima »

It's what Jeff said: there was an "Apple DOS": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_DOS
TIL
Taco

Post by Taco »

NERDS
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: In the mid-80s, my dad bought a Laser 128 (Apple II clone), but it died. .......
Friend of mine had that same computer, we started playing a computer baseball game and later graduated to the computer version of Strat-O-Matic which I'm still doing 35 years later.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

but have you heard of bittorrent