Stoddard and asking if too many people are out hiking

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I had a small window of opportunity this weekend so I journeyed up Stoddard Peak. The drive up Baldy Road was slowed by at least 20 cyclists, when one person moves out toward the dashed yellow line to pass others it causes traffic havoc. There were at least 30 cars parked at the dam, and I noticed a stone trail border/guide along the road suggesting for people to stay out of the way of speeding cars on the walk over to Evey Canyon.
Everyone knows this walk, nothing new to report except that I noticed the road was much thinner than before, and no large vehicle tracks were in sight. At the second summit I ran into three people sitting there, when they asked if I wanted them to clear out some room to sit I said no, I'm going over to Stoddard. They were all surprised to find they weren't on the summit despite allegedly following an AllTrails route. I could barely make out Catalina Island in the coastal fog, and I got to sit up there for a while by myself which was a chance to have a cupcake Pop-Tart. I don't recommend them, stick with the fruity kind. On the way back, I helped a couple find the trail across the rocks, the leader had gone down way too low although their unleashed dog chose the correct path. And finally, when I got back to the road, another person asked if she was at the trail to Stoddard. Were we all like that once? I guess we can blame this pandemic and maybe be thankful that people are getting out more? A good note was that I didn't see much trash, I only came back with an empty water bottle and an unused doggy bag. I saw what looked like a mylar balloon but it was way up the hill and I didn't want to take the chance of tumbling down 100 feet to snag this one.

AllTrails claimed this trip was 6.2 miles and 1200 feet of elevation.

IMG_7723.jpg

Water was flowing here and in the little group of cabins. Cascade Canyon was dry.

IMG_7726.jpg

Fall colors, the Sycamore trees actually look good here in their natural element.

IMG_7728.jpg
Trees are coming back here, I think this slope was mentioned in the recent fire discussions.

IMG_7730.jpg
The cutoff is a little less obvious these days. Next time up I'll bring some tools to help on the hillside.

IMG_7731.jpg
Summit number one.

IMG_7732.jpg
Summit number two.

IMG_7733.jpg
Summit number three, the real Stoddard Peak.

IMG_7734.jpg
Umm, thanks six-pack-type people? At what point is this litter?

IMG_7735.jpg
Baldy, just because I always like this view.

IMG_7753.jpg
Posing on a rock or actually trying not to wipe out when I hopped up. Forgot about the effect of gravity on my 'rona-bod. This one's for C.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Jeff, I give you a thumbs up on the rock pose :)
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: They were all surprised to find they weren't on the summit despite allegedly following an AllTrails route ... On the way back, I helped a couple find the trail across the rocks, the leader had gone down way too low although their unleashed dog chose the correct path. And finally, when I got back to the road, another person asked if she was at the trail to Stoddard. Were we all like that once?
Yeah, when you're learning a new area it's wise to confirm you're in the correct location. Mostly I relied on maps in the beginning, because I know how to read them and they're generally more reliable than your average hiker. Sometimes figuring out which bump is the summit can be confusing. But if your dog can identify a trail better than you, you might want to see a doctor about that.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

IMG_1580.jpg

Old picture from August 2015, trees out on that point are noticeably larger and bushier now.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Is that Spring Hill? The dead zone mentioned in the other thread is east of Ontario Peak.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Surprising that given today's technology and free access to all the tools (alltrails, GPS apps etc...) people still find a way to be lost, especially on a clear sunny day.?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Yesterday after my Wrightwood adventure I drove up Baldy road just to check out the area and to see if the gate was open on Glendora Ridge road. Besides the bumper to bumper traffic, It was a freakin zoo as I suspected. Stoddard Peak parking lot was overwhelming crazy packed with people. Obviously just playing in the snow. Of course no one was hiking to the summit.