Fredonyer Peak

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

June 8, 2020

A few years ago while driving to Oregon I was looking for a free place to sleep and lucked into this spot off Hwy 139 north of Susanville. As I was whizzing by I noticed the brown Forest Service sign and ended up spending the night along the dirt road. The next morning I learned that it's a 8.5-mile dirt road to another road junction which serves as the trailhead for Fredonyer Peak, which hosts a fire lookout. I didn't have time to hike it then as my sister was expecting me that evening but I vowed to return. That little promise came true when I was once again on the road heading to Washington because I'm just not ready to take a flight yet. Since I had worked it into my itinerary I had some leisure time to enjoy the journey and it was pretty nice. The trail isn't much, just a well-graded fire road which according to AllTrails has a very consistent slope. There are just two switchbacks on the 1.5-mile ascent, meaning the views don't change much either. That's good on the way up, as Eagle Lake is spread out below and on a clear day like this one both Lassen and Shasta can be seen in the distance. I also got to see a Bald Eagle but I wasn't quick enough with the camera to capture a good shot of that memory.
Next time you find yourself on the back roads of California this is a nice little detour, just allow about 45 minutes to drive to the trailhead or else make it a very long walk from the highway. It took me an hour to do the three mile round trip which included a lunch break sitting on the 'patio' of the fire lookout.

Pics here:
DSC05629.jpg
Fredonyer from the highway.

DSC05630.jpg
There used to be a nicer FS sign but this was good enough for me this time since I knew where I was going.

DSC05637.jpg
Parked at the trailhead. High clearance not needed to get here but it's nice to have, I was able to hit 25mph a couple times.

DSC05643.jpg
Eagle Lake with Lassen in the background. Shasta was harder to see off the right side of this photo.

DSC05644.jpg
Snow hike!!

DSC05648.jpg
This is posted at switchback #2.

DSC05653.jpg
Fire lookout, it was unoccupied this visit.

DSC05669.jpg
The patio. I sat here for a dollar-store lunch of tortilla wrapped around salami and cheese sticks.

DSC05670.jpg
Benchmark.

DSC05682.jpg
Abandoned outhouse. I tried opening the door and a bunch of huge bees fell out on the ground and then they started to wake up in the sun.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Forgot the summit pose!!!
IMG_7500.jpg
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Very cool Jeff. Don't you know how important those summit poses are? Lol
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote: Very cool Jeff. Don't you know how important those summit poses are? Lol
Yes. I've been channeling my inner girl to get them.
Donald Shimoda