Mixed message from ANF

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Most trailheads are closed by ANF.
We are supposed to stay at home and not do any non-essential traveling around.
ANF says come out and play on the 'other' trailheads.

Twitter link leads to a map showing a bunch of red "-" marks showing all the closures.

Screen Shot 2020-04-19 at 9.58.25 AM.png
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

I think they are suggesting to hike on unmaintained trails! Maybe they are leaving the tweet up for interpretation as well?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The stay at home order is from the state but the ANF is not a state organization. Apparently they're not on the same page, which is nothing new in this country.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The message was generic..and includes people who are not subject to Garcetti's edicts.
I dont know why...they dont know the joy of utopia and such a guru.
Sean

Post by Sean »

jeko1034 wrote: I think they are suggesting to hike on unmaintained trails! Maybe they are leaving the tweet up for interpretation as well?
Yes, what I'm hearing is that we should build rogue trails.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

jeko1034 wrote: I think they are suggesting to hike on unmaintained trails! Maybe they are leaving the tweet up for interpretation as well?

I believe what they're suggesting is broader than that. It seems like they're suggesting that we should avoid specific developed sites, trailheads, and trails. So I don't think we're limited to unmaintained trails; it appears that many maintained trails are open.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Anthony wrote:

I believe what they're suggesting is broader than that. It seems like they're suggesting that we should avoid specific developed sites, trailheads, and trails. So I don't think we're limited to unmaintained trails; it appears that many maintained trails are open.
It sounds like that, although the map linked in the original tweet was of all the closed trails/trailheads. Sure some fine adventurers like the folks here can find other trails, but the general populace won't. And there is the problem and why the trails get closed, because plenty of people think "it's just me out there...." and suddenly it's a crowd.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda