Yerba Buena Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Been awhile since I put up a TR so figured I'm about due.

Went out last weekend to do some exploring on the west end of the San Gabriels. Since I had been up to the Mendenhall Ridge and out to Kagel, I settled on the Yerba Buena Ridge by way of the Oak Spring Trail. Candidly, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Much better than expected.

I pulled off to the side of Gold Creek Road just past the closed picnic area and started up the Oak Spring Trail. The picnic area was closed, but looks pretty nice actually. Anyone know what's up with that?

Anyway, the trail steadily climbs to a small saddle just east of Pt. 2749 before dipping slightly to Oak Spring. On the way up, I thought I heard a low humming sound so stopped for a better listen. Then I saw a cloud of bees just ahead of me swarming uphill in a southwest direction. I envisioned them headed to Oak Spring where it might still be damp and then got all paranoid that they were Africanized and I might run into them again.

Fortunately, I didn't, At the saddle, I contemplated Pt. 2749, but decided to leave it for another day. Oak Spring was super nice, green, and shady and did in fact still have water. It also had a good number of those damn flies so I snapped a couple of pics and kept moving.

After Oak Spring, the trail enters Oak Spring Canyon and then gradually ascends to a junction with Yerba Buena Road (3N30.1 I believe). The path here was a bit grassy, but not obstructed in any way.

Here, I turned east and headed for the high point (3892). This part was just a road walk, but you get pretty good looks into Big T, Lukens, and the Verdugos. There is some structure immediately north of the high point. I couldn't really tell what it was and didn't investigate further. There is also a water tank just southwest of the high point (Boulder BW12) which I used as my lunch and forest bathing spot (am I doing this forest-bathing thing right?).

I thought I might see hunters out, but I didn't. But while I was sitting on Boulder BW12, a guy in a jeep came racing up Yerba Buena Road with his music blaring. Then I felt right at home. On the way down, I spied another water tank (Doane BW11) a short distance from the Oak Spring trail junction so I checked that out before retracing my steps back to the trailhead.

Here's a few pics from my day.
19_Trail Through Oak Spring Canyon.jpg
17_Doane Water Tank.jpg
15_San Fernando Valley from Boulder Tank.jpg
14_Mt. Lukens and Verdugos from Boulder Tank.jpg
12_Boulder Water Tank.jpg
11_Mendenhall Ridge from High Point.jpg
10_Little Tujunga from High Point.jpg
9_Upper Big Tujunga from High Point.jpg
6_Signage at Trail Junction.jpg
22_Oak Spring.jpg
21_Oak Spring.jpg
3_Oak Spring.jpg
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

The picnic area has been closed off and on due to high fire danger.

The jeep was there illegally, of course. None of these roads are open to unauthorized motorized vehicles. This is an on-going problem in the area.
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

Thanks for the report.

It's amazing how much moisture is still left in the San Gabes this late into the year. It really tells you what a solidly wet winter and spring can do for the range.

I went up Colby Canyon last weekend and there is still a decent little flow about 1/4 mile from the parking area and beyond.
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

Oak Spring has water all year round even in the driest years. It's a historic headwater of the Los Angeles River. It's part of the fracture spring network of the San Gabriel Fault that runs through Gold Creek.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hey thanks for the info K_Sabo. Very interesting about Oak Spring.
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

You're most welcome. I'm glad you found the trail and the experience a good one. I've been working on maintenance and restoration on the trails in this area for a few years now and I think they are coming into pretty good overall condition in spite of recent fires (Dec 2017 - Creek Fire.) Of course, these things are always a work in progress.

I've made a public Google map that you might find useful for the area. Trails and landmarks are clickable for more information. Map will be updated as more trails come back into serviceable shape with work.

Link: Trails in Little & Big Tujunga Cyn

Enjoy. :-)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

That map's an awesome resource. Thanks for sharing it and for the trail maintenance. The Oak Spring trail was in top shape all the way to Oak Spring.

Speaking of springs, is there any water at Fascination?
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

Fascination has water if you dig around, but it pretty much needs a new spring box since the fires deposited so much crap and burned what was there. I'd like to try installing a new one when I have time if someone doesn't beat me to it. It's something I'd love to try when I get time.

It also needs a lot of new pipe to bring water down again to the water trough near 3N38. That's a much bigger project.

OST past OS is in good shape trail-treadwise, it's just brushy. You can thank the fires for that. The brush was absolutely ferocious this year. You'll find Fascination Sp Tr brushy but the tread has been completely restored and in good shape.
gsbircsak

Post by gsbircsak »

Uncle Rico wrote: Been awhile since I put up a TR so figured I'm about due.

Went out last weekend to do some exploring on the west end of the San Gabriels. Since I had been up to the Mendenhall Ridge and out to Kagel, I settled on the Yerba Buena Ridge by way of the Oak Spring Trail. Candidly, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Much better than expected.

I pulled off to the side of Gold Creek Road just past the closed picnic area and started up the Oak Spring Trail. The picnic area was closed, but looks pretty nice actually. Anyone know what's up with that?

Anyway, the trail steadily climbs to a small saddle just east of Pt. 2749 before dipping slightly to Oak Spring. On the way up, I thought I heard a low humming sound so stopped for a better listen. Then I saw a cloud of bees just ahead of me swarming uphill in a southwest direction. I envisioned them headed to Oak Spring where it might still be damp and then got all paranoid that they were Africanized and I might run into them again.

Fortunately, I didn't, At the saddle, I contemplated Pt. 2749, but decided to leave it for another day. Oak Spring was super nice, green, and shady and did in fact still have water. It also had a good number of those damn flies so I snapped a couple of pics and kept moving.

After Oak Spring, the trail enters Oak Spring Canyon and then gradually ascends to a junction with Yerba Buena Road (3N30.1 I believe). The path here was a bit grassy, but not obstructed in any way.

Here, I turned east and headed for the high point (3892). This part was just a road walk, but you get pretty good looks into Big T, Lukens, and the Verdugos. There is some structure immediately north of the high point. I couldn't really tell what it was and didn't investigate further. There is also a water tank just southwest of the high point (Boulder BW12) which I used as my lunch and forest bathing spot (am I doing this forest-bathing thing right?).

I thought I might see hunters out, but I didn't. But while I was sitting on Boulder BW12, a guy in a jeep came racing up Yerba Buena Road with his music blaring. Then I felt right at home. On the way down, I spied another water tank (Doane BW11) a short distance from the Oak Spring trail junction so I checked that out before retracing my steps back to the trailhead.

Here's a few pics from my day.
3_Oak Spring.jpg21_Oak Spring.jpg22_Oak Spring.jpg
6_Signage at Trail Junction.jpg9_Upper Big Tujunga from High Point.jpg10_Little Tujunga from High Point.jpg11_Mendenhall Ridge from High Point.jpg12_Boulder Water Tank.jpg14_Mt. Lukens and Verdugos from Boulder Tank.jpg15_San Fernando Valley from Boulder Tank.jpg17_Doane Water Tank.jpg19_Trail Through Oak Spring Canyon.jpg
Very nice report. Hiked up your trail to Yerba Buena Ridgetop with my sons last Saturday. Ate lunch and then came back down Boulder Canyon to the car. Vista's view at the top was great being able to see many of the places in the hills I've been - from Mount Disappointment to Oat Mountain. Thanks
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Oh, very cool. I thought about that loop but was uncertain about Boulder Canyon.

How was that? Is Gold Creek Road public up to the Boulder Canyon trailhead?
K_Sabo

Post by K_Sabo »

Yes, Gold Creek Road is public to the Boulder Cyn Trailhead. Where the pavement ends, go up the dirt road to the left to the trailhead.
gsbircsak

Post by gsbircsak »

I could not get over the immense efforts that have been done to build and maintain the Oak Spring, Yerba Buena Ridge, Boulder Cyn, Gold Creek trail loop. I worked alone to rebuild the Pacoima Cyn trail from Dillion divide to Dagger flats (1998-2016) then the Sand Cyn fire did a better job of clearing. I'm now eighty but I dream to getting back to my efforts rebuilding Pacoima Cyn trail again.