Baldy Zoo and some observations

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
David R

Post by David R »

I hiked Baldy via Register Ridge on Sunday. I thought it was going to be a pleasant not too crazy hike as I only met one party on the ascent. Unfortunately once I reached the Backbone, pandemonium reigned. There was a fundraiser for veterans which is obviously a worthy cause but the addition of hikers to a busy trail was overwhelming. The final climb up to Baldy looked like that picture from Everest. With no exaggeration I wouldn't be surprised if 750 people summitted that day. The top was covered by people. Some of my random observations:

1. The couple I passed on Register Ridge had a husky that was hiking with them that looked wiped, I wish people would be more careful when they bring their animals with them. They were 2/3 of the way up.

2. The veteran event created a bunch of arches and put inspirational signs every 1/8th of a mile. Have your event but the Sunset Strip feel was not welcomed in a natural environment.

3. I met a couple as I was hiking down that asked me if there was water on the top of Baldy. I told him no but there is snow which they thought was funny. What did they expect a water fountain?

4. Even excluding the event, Baldy is becoming problematic as far as the quantity of hikers. Icehouse looked even worse, it may be time to expand the Sheep Wilderness to Baldy and start having quotas on this hike and more importantly enforce it as most people don't get permits anymore while hiking wilderness areas.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Pictures?

Its the same with Eaton canyon falls like you all must know. About 15 years ago, my dad would take us hiking there and we would run into 4 to 10 people on the hike. Now it's a zoo which is unfortunate and pretty unsafe.
Sean

Post by Sean »

It would be hilarious to stick a spigot in a rock pile on Baldy and see who turns the handle.
dima

Post by dima »

Everyone! I would.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Icehouse has been overly crowded for years, we’ve had a few discussions about that here.
Register Ridge is definitely the least crowded route from this side, although you do run into plenty if folks from the saddle to the top.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

I went up Bear Flat trail on Saturday. There were a few hikers, but not too many. A zoo on top, so back onto the trail for some mountain solitude. The switchbacks above Bear Flat elimnate most hikers from the balance of the trail.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I hiked Baldy last year during the veterans hike. It was insane.

Icehouse is a madhouse. But once you get past the saddle it's not bad.

I have definitely noticed an increase in hikers across the entire ANF in recent years. I assume it's because of the internet. I don't even bother going to Switzer anymore. It's the new Eaton Canyon.

I'm not sure how I feel about quotas, but I support creating more trails.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

This is why Register Ridge is my favorite way up these days... Keeps you away from the crowds for the most part. I should do Bear Canyon next...