Daddy/Daughter Backpack Trip

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tallsquirrel

Post by tallsquirrel »

I was planning my next backpack trip when my four year old daughter asked me if she could come. I had been wanting to take her sometime later this year, but since she asked it was time for her 1st backpack trip! I decided we would hike from the Palm Springs Tram, Mountain Station to Tamarack Valley below San Jacinto Peak. It is 2.5 miles, pretty flat (500' gain) and the weather was looking perfect.

I was a little unsure just how she would do and repeatedly asked her to make sure she really wanted to go. The last thing I wanted was to retreat from the wilderness carrying a crying toddler. These trips are a meant to be a relief from my family responsibilities after all. She had gone on many family hikes, some as long as 8 miles, and usually enjoyed them. But I carried her for much of those hikes so I could not be sure of her true abilities. Of course there's a big difference between what a toddler can physically do and what they are willing to do. I figured 2.5 miles was at the upper threshold of this limit and turned out to be right. It would be the first time she would wear a backpack, which would contain her water bladder, a jacket and some clothes.

We got to the parking lot around noon, caught a bus to the terminal and bought tickets for the 1:30 tram. We killed an hour having lunch at the picnic tables. The time flew by as each tram arrived and left every 10 minutes. She really enjoyed the tram ride and the great views. We got to the top, left Mountain Station, walked down the long, windy ramp and entered the wilderness. About two minutes later (at the ranger station) she started complaining that she was getting tired and didn't like wearing the backpack. I told her that we could go as slow as she wanted and take as many breaks as she needed but she had to hike or we were getting back on the tram and going home. I didn't want to do it but I was not bluffing. This had the desired effect and she was soon skipping through the pine trees.
P6150012.JPG
There are mountain lions out here!
P6150017.JPG

The first half of the hike was very flat and pleasant along Round Valley creek. She was doing well and there was the perfect amount of cloud cover to keep us cool. But then we hit some switchbacks and some rocky sections of trail and the complaining ramped up again. She kept asking me how far it was and I kept saying we were very close. If we could just get to Round Valley we'd be alright. Lots of breaks and some snacks kept her going until the trail leveled out. Her spirits really lifted when we hit some little patches of snow.
P6150030.JPG
I love the Skunk Cabbage meadows of the San Jacinto high country
P6150022.JPG
Soon enough we were at Round Valley
P6150034.JPG
Round Valley creek at the junction with the trail to Tamarack Valley
P6150036.JPG
I managed to cajole her another 1/2 mile to Tamarack Valley and a campsite. About half the campsites at Round Valley and Tamarack Valley were closed (they give a list with your permit). I imagine this is due to storm damage or dead trees that could fall. The campsite trails at Tamarack Valley are not clearly signed like those in Round Valley and I was unable to find a campsite with a labeled post, which you are supposed to use. Nonetheless we found a nice flat piece of ground that sure looked like a campsite and called it a day. She "helped" me set up the tent, fire up the camp stove and boil water for our dehydrated dinners. If you are a parent you know why I put quote marks around "helped." After dinner we snuggled in the tent and I told some ghost stories to make up for the fact that I forgot to bring hot cocoa. She was soon fast asleep and slept through the night. I had a cold that clogged my sinuses and forced me to breathe through my mouth. That and the bright moon kept me up all night. But the fact that she slept at least made it peaceful.

Someone was in a good mood the next morning...
P6160041.JPG
...and wanted to take some pictures
P6160047.JPG

I enjoyed the hike out a lot more that the hike in because I knew she could make it and we both had a strong motivation to make it back to the tram station for some grub and the hot cocoa I promised her. We also saw some deer in Round Valley.
P6160062.JPG
Back at Mountain Station, post cocoa
P6160075.JPG
I texted Mom that we were safe and sound. Back at the car someone insisted they were not tired and would not be falling asleep. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Cute ?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Very cute!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

She is adorable and so cute! I think it's great to start your kids hiking at a young age.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great trip and some lasting memories there.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
hiiker

Post by hiiker »

Great report and thank you for getting your daughter interested in doing things outdoors. I introduced my daughter to hiking and the sorts at a young age too. We still get out and do hikes together now that she's almost 18. She asked me the other day where we were going hiking on her birthday later this month. She's mentioned Baden-Powell but I'm not sure if I'm up to that.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Your daughter is adorable. Looks like she had a lot of fun.