Rescue at Oakwilde

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yesterday a mother and son started hiking at Switzer's and headed for an overnight at Bear Canyon. She walked ahead of her son and missed the turn, ending up lost at Oakwilde. The son returned to Switzer's and called for help. SAR found her during the night and flew her out this morning.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Good outcome. Maybe she can give some beta on the trail between Switzers and Oakwilde. ?
David R

Post by David R »

“It was terrible. I was sleeping over a rock with a towel over me ... I was freezing,”
Now you know what 60,000 people in LA County go through every night.

I would recommend a map next time and when did she say to herself hmmm maybe I should wait for my son or even better walk back?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Which one had the camping gear that they were planning on using?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, it seems weird that she slept on a rock covered by a towel, if she had a sleeping bag.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Lack of experience amps up the risk in mountains. I'm sure it was a learning experience for her and fortunately no permanent damage.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Sean wrote: Yesterday a mother and son started hiking at Switzer's and headed for an overnight at Bear Canyon. She walked ahead of her son and missed the turn, ending up lost at Oakwilde. The son returned to Switzer's and called for help. SAR found her during the night and flew her out this morning.
Yeah, then she says 'Don't Leave your partner" when she did exactly that and went ahead of her son.
dumb ass!!
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I passed by Oakwilde a few weeks ago. It was the dirtiest, sketchiest campground I've ever come across. There are definitely some people living there full time. I had never seen anything quite like it.