Rim Trail & Sturtevant Trail Loop to Mt Wilson

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Needing to get some miles under my feet before Fool’s Traverse, I decided to make a loop to Mt. Wilson via Rim Trail and Sturtevant Trail yesterday. I have never been on Rim Trail so I was excited to check it out. Turns out it had been maintained relatively recently and it is in great conditions aside from minor overgrowth and poison oak (avoidable right now).
Arrived at Chantry Flats at 6:15am and had to park down the road already. Gabrielino Trail between Spruce Grove Tail Camp and Newcomb Pass are somewhat overgrown. Kept feeling spiderwebs on my face the entire way. At newcomb pass, ran into some MTBers who told me Rim Trail was maintained to my delight. Along the Rim Trail, I saw a small bobcat which was awesome. It wasn’t afraid of me and just minded its own business next to the trail as I took a few pics of it before heading off on the trail again. The Rim Trail was very pleasant to hike on. Only small portions of slight overgrowth and poison oak along the edge of the trail. Steady and shady for the most part. Hit up Mt Wilson, then returned via the busy Sturtevant Trail. On the way back I hit up Mt. Zion and checked out Sturtevant Falls. On a side note I also logged Peak 5705 into my peakbagger which was just a small bump next to the observatory.

All in all it was about 19.5 miles and about 5000 ft elevation gain.
Chantry --> Newcomb Pass --> Wilson --> Sturtevant Camp --> Mt Zion --> Sturtevant Falls --> Chantry

Bobcat (baby?) that was just hanging out next to the Rim Trail on the ridge. Super cute. Wasn't afraid of me at all.

What are thoooose.... Just hanging out at Mt Wilson on one of the chairs they set out looking towards the east. Secluded and away from the bustling Cosmic Cafe.

Strong flow of Sturtevant Falls.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

What an awesome bobcat! Usually so skittish. I've been on the Rim Trail once and I remember it being kind of slanted downhill so I always felt like I was side hilling.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

tekewin wrote: What an awesome bobcat! Usually so skittish. I've been on the Rim Trail once and I remember it being kind of slanted downhill so I always felt like I was side hilling.
Yea felt like that at some points along the trail but I think it's better now. I was quite surprised the bobcat didn't seem to care for me being so close to it!
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Nice pictures, especially the bobcat! Good luck on the Fools Traverse, looking forward to a report!