Poodle dog bush on Wilson trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

There is poodle dog bush growing along the burned area near the top of the Mount Wilson trail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eriodictyon_parryi

This is an opportunistic plant that tends to be one of the first colonizers of burned areas. It's extremely nasty if your skin touches it -- in my experience, it's much, much worse than poison oak. The stuff I saw yesterday was not flowering yet, which makes it a little harder to identify. It has dagger-shaped leaves growing around a central stem. The edges are slightly serrated, and the stems are hairy. It has a noticeable sweet odor as you're walking through the area.
dima

Post by dima »

Why is it there? Was there a fire?
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

dima wrote: Why is it there? Was there a fire?
Yes, it's a burn area. The fire was in October 2017.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. It was contained to just that area.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

dima wrote: Why is it there? Was there a fire?
At first, I thought very funny Dima haha when I read your response but then I figured out you weren't joking. I thought you of all people would know why Poodle Dog was there. lol
btw what happened to my stickers?
dima

Post by dima »

Was I supposed to do something with the stickers?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

dima wrote: Was I supposed to do something with the stickers?
What's his name said he was sending you some old ones to forward to me. remember? you sent me an email lol
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

I hiked through that area a few weeks ago on my Wilson loop and snapped a few pics of the burn and the poodle dog bush:
Burn area
Burn area
Poodle dog bush!
Poodle dog bush!
View of DTLA
View of DTLA
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

davidwiese wrote: I hiked through that area a few weeks ago on my Wilson loop and snapped a few pics of the burn and the poodle dog bush:
Nice pics! I've been doing some work on the Wikipedia article on this species. Would it be OK with you if I adapted one or two of your pics and put them in the article? You would have to agree to license them under Wikipedia's CC-BY-SA license. You would be credited (as required by the "BY" attribution clause). A cropped version of the one showing the plant growing among burned trees would be nice as a way of showing its typical habitat. It would also be nice to have the one with a full-frame picture of the whole bush.
davidwiese

Post by davidwiese »

bcrowell wrote:
davidwiese wrote: I hiked through that area a few weeks ago on my Wilson loop and snapped a few pics of the burn and the poodle dog bush:
Nice pics! I've been doing some work on the Wikipedia article on this species. Would it be OK with you if I adapted one or two of your pics and put them in the article? You would have to agree to license them under Wikipedia's CC-BY-SA license. You would be credited (as required by the "BY" attribution clause). A cropped version of the one showing the plant growing among burned trees would be nice as a way of showing its typical habitat. It would also be nice to have the one with a full-frame picture of the whole bush.
Sure thing, go ahead.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

davidwiese wrote:
Sure thing, go ahead.
Cool, I added the photos to the article. Thanks!
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for updating the article! Girl Hiker: I never received anything from simonov. If/when I get something, you're welcome to it.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

They sprouted very soon after that fire. I remember hiking through there early last year and it was already pretty dense along the trail.