Cattle Canyon Trip

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
hikeandhike

Post by hikeandhike »

Hiked Cattle Canyon this weekend. Made it within a 1/2 mile of the gate at the end (23 creek crossings, all wet) before having to turn back due to time.

Lots of people camping at the entrance, the carcass of a recently killed chicken at the first creek crossing, several folks hunting gold further back (fortunately only panning/sluicing without digging enormous holes around the sides, at least from what I could see), one couple camping near the end, and a couple of hikers. Overall felt much more peaceful than summer month hikes back in the canyon, despite the above.

The first 1/2 mile is essentially washed out when it comes to vehicle passage, or so it would appear. The creek has jumped into the trail, out of it's old borders, for part of this portion, and other portions are washed out.

Water levels are expectedly high, knee high + in some spots. Saw a few 4ft deep holes. Looks great! Spotted frogs, plenty of bug life, flowers, and a lot of nice greenery.

Also spotted this in the dried mud:

Woohoo!
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for the report! I've never gone back there. Where is the gate at "the end"? Is that the start of the Widman inholding? Something else?
hikeandhike

Post by hikeandhike »

dima wrote: Thanks for the report! I've never gone back there. Where is the gate at "the end"? Is that the start of the Widman inholding? Something else?
I think so -- I just heard it ends at "a ranch"
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My guess is he hiked from east fork road to Thompson Ranch. Widman Ranch is in Coldwater Canyon (as is Weber Camp).
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Awesome photos of the bear tracks. I love how the silt in that area captures good quality prints from everything that walks through.