Info on the Wetwater trail (to the Stanley-Miller mine)?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

John Robinson, in his 'San Gabriels II' writes, "The airy Wetwater Trail, terror of the pack mules with its dripping water, was hacked out of the cliffs above the Narrows to gain access (to the Stanley-Miller mine)."

I remember reading in the 'Mines of the San Gabriels' (also written by Robinson) that the trail was some 600 feet above the narrows. It was also briefly mentioned in this report on the Stanley-Miller mine (https://www.summitpost.org/northwest-ri ... ine/622907).

image.jpg
There's also this photo from AllTrails. I wasn't able to find any other info on it.

Does anyone have more info on this trail? Is it still a passable route? Where does the trail go?

I would assume it's really exposed, is it even there anymore?
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

Holy cow look at that trail. I wonder how wide it is... no more than 3 feet across?
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

The USGS topo maps show this:

Maybe it's the trail just N/NW of the mine leading to it? It does seem to cross very high elevation gain as it exits the narrows? But the image you posted show what appear to be a trail elevating from left to right, which wouldn't make sense if it's the one I'm looking at. Unless the pic you posted is flipped. Very interesting.
ReFreshing

Post by ReFreshing »

I think I know what part of the Wetwater is in the pic:

Came to this conclusion from their Alltrails GPX (https://www.alltrails.com/explore/recor ... st-fork--2) You can see the image posted near the end of that recording showing where they took the pic. As for whether it's still there...probably ... just very unsafe to use i guess.
Blaise

Post by Blaise »

That seems right. The trail you circled looks like it traverses the steepest part of the narrows.