Fall Creek/Big Tujunga 2/23/19

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Me and Dima went to check on the status of some waterfalls in Fall Creek....which has its own Yelp page. And now a hipcamp page too... https://www.hipcamp.com/california/ange ... trail-camp. . Since I was late to the trailhead, we ended up driving up and down the road, but finally met. The day had nice weather and the water level was flowing nicely.

The hours slowly went by on the long approach into the foothills of Mt Gleason. This destination you have to want to be there or else its far far...I think its 3+ hours as we dealt with fallen branches and trees. Dima turned down the opportunity to bag the mighty NHPS peak MtSly....with its negative prominence & 5-10 min approach. The good part was that the waterfalls themselves were free from any devastation of the Station Fire. We ended up rappelling both falls off to the side, which took a bit of time to setup. I was thinking no one will ever see this place again, but I'll have to go back at some point to retrieve one webbing strand that was left behind lol. The creek itself seems to be getting snarled with the recovery so we bailed back to the Edison fireroad and walked back to the cars. All in all it took about 10 hours RT thanks to my lack of conditioning. ....which is a miserable time considering we only accomplished the priority goal, but it was a good day. At least we got to see all of the falls.

One other note and that was the status of Fall Creek trail camp. There is a use trail out to where it used to be, but we didnt follow it. And as far as the hipcamp web page, that is not fall creek trail camp lol. Talk about bad info. That photo is Cascade picnic area in Big Santa Anita canyon.

Main falls of Fox Creek zoomed in.
tr1.jpg

Looking out over the upper waterfall....which was a nice rappel next to the water.
tr2.jpg

Upper waterfall from below
tr3.jpg

Bottom waterfall from below
tr4.jpg

Middle Falls

tr5.jpg
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

And no graffiti. ✌
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Very cool! Nice to see water flowing again.
"Never limit yourself to what you can do!"
--Bart Yasso, my hero
Instagram My Blog