Death on Mt. Wilson

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

A trail runner died yesterday on Mt. Wilson. He slipped off Kenyon-Devore, which no doubt is covered in ice.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Sean wrote: A trail runner died yesterday on Mt. Wilson. He slipped off Kenyon-Devore, which no doubt is covered in ice.
I wonder if he ran to Kenyon-Devore from Red Box or Shortcut Saddle? Given the road closures, that seems like the only reasonable explanation?
David R

Post by David R »

I've hiked Kenyon-Devore to Rim trail in trail runners in the winter with snow and ice not for the faint of the heart, would never run it. Snow levels are really low, was on top of Lukens on Sunday and there was some snow up there on the shaded north side as well as snow flurries.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Looks like it happened on Sunday and was reported on Monday:

https://ktla.com/2019/02/18/thousand-oa ... mt-wilson/
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

bapolis wrote:
Sean wrote: A trail runner died yesterday on Mt. Wilson. He slipped off Kenyon-Devore, which no doubt is covered in ice.
I wonder if he ran to Kenyon-Devore from Red Box or Shortcut Saddle? Given the road closures, that seems like the only reasonable explanation?
In the days when I used to run ultras, we frequently started at Chantry, took Winter Creek trail up to Wilson and then ran down Kenyon DeVore to West Fork campground. We would take the road back Newcomb's Saddle and then back to Chantry Flat. That's probably the most common route for using Kenyon Devore. We only did that trail in warm weather.

We used to run down the Sturtevant Trail back to Chantry in the winter. That's also an extremely dicy trail with ice and ice chutes. Looking back on it, I would not do those runs again...