BP&L Road

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
missy

Post by missy »

Does anyone know if BP&L Roads in the Angeles Forest are public or private? What does BP&L stand for?

Thank you!
Missy
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

missy wrote:Does anyone know if BP&L Roads in the Angeles Forest are public or private? What does BP&L stand for?

Thank you!
Missy
It stands for Bureau of Parks & Land management. Not sure if they are for the public's, but I bet you can call and ask!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Wow, I had that same question today since I saw a pole with that stenciled in Johnson’s Pasture. Thanks for the info, now I’ll seem smarter to people I hike with.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I had always been under the impression that these were Bureau of Power and Light roads in the Angeles from around 1917 on.
dima

Post by dima »

I'm feeling out of the loop. These are existing roads? What's an example of one?
missy

Post by missy »

dima wrote: I'm feeling out of the loop. These are existing roads? What's an example of one?
One here: 34°29'19.6", -118°03'45.1"

Another off of Little Tujunga Rd going towards Highline Saddle I think.
missy

Post by missy »

jeko1034 wrote: It stands for Bureau of Parks & Land management. Not sure if they are for the public's, but I bet you can call and ask!
Can you please link me to their website? :)
dima

Post by dima »

missy wrote:
dima wrote: I'm feeling out of the loop. These are existing roads? What's an example of one?

Both of these are powerline roads today. We're sure that "PL" isn't "power and light"?
missy

Post by missy »

dima wrote:
missy wrote:

Both of these are powerline roads today. We're sure that "PL" isn't "power and light"?
I figured it had to do with BL&P industries (http://www.bplindustries.com). But I’m not so sure because Jeko seemed so sure. But it kinda seems like he might be thinking of BLM. Unless there was an organization a long time ago that I didn’t know of ?
Sean

Post by Sean »

It's the Bureau of Power & Light from the early days of building transmission lines. You can go on them. Some are even driveable.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

I always thought it was burbank power and light... but the road section that crosses foothill blvd at wheatland has had debris flows blocking the road LADWP had a crew there during the last series of storms and thought it was strange LADWP was watching bp&l infrastructure DOH!