Rim Trail and Shortcut

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

I went to Mt Wilson to do some post-storm riding on Friday and Sunday, and wound up, through sheer unimaginativeness and a bit of a score, repeating the Rim Trail for both days. Conditions differed sufficiently on both days that it wound up being a good opportunity to see some interesting contrasts.

Friday was a bit of a wash (...ahem...), as I was encouraged to cut my planned route short. Things started swimmingly, with some forgiving snow cover near the summit of Mt Wilson. Descending the Rim Trail was an exercise in patience; I spent about half the duration clearing rockfall and what small deadfall I could. There are a few new downed trees, but overall not much storm damage until east of Newcomb Pass, where a yucca decided to ride a dirt sled onto the trail. I encountered much more rock/gravel/mud-slide action as I went east on Rincon Rd. I also encountered some rare (to me) wildlife out for a stroll.

My planned route included following Rincon Rd to Shortcut Rd, across to CA-2, and back to Red Box. The plan disintegrated when I was confronted with high water at the West Fork/Shortcut ford. Though I could have waded through, the hour was late, pending darkness, temps dropping...not gonna do it today. I retraced my route and used Rincon Rd to return to Red Box, along the way encountering more big slides.

But the views from the Rim Trail were nice.

Sunday was very crowded, but warmer and a bit drier. I had one interesting encounter at the good vista point on Rim Trail. A lady was hiking with what I assumed to be a small dog...that turned out to be a cat. She was walking her Bengal cat on the summit of Mt Wilson!?!?! (TBF, my mom has a Bengal, and it 'travels well'.) Forgive me for sounding like I live under a rock, but I had no idea there was to be an eclipse Sunday. That, later, explained the crowds, but not their very early presence. I only vaguely saw some of the eclipse though, due to high clouds.

Anyway, here are some pics, and 2 videos:

View east from Rim Trail: Mt San Antonio, Mt San Gorgonio, San Jacinto Peak, and Monrovia Peak right midground
(Click here for original 4032x2268 size)

Twin Peaks and Mt Baden-Powell

Slide east of Newcomb Pass, view east

Slide east of Newcomb Pass, view west

Rocks on Rincon Rd between the duck pond and Shortcut Rd

Another slide on Rincon 20m east of the previous pic

Source and path of the slide in the previous pic

High water at Shortcut ford

Interesting Fungus #1

Newt

Interesting Fungus #2

VIDEO: West Fork at Shortcut
VIDEO: Newt crossing the road
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

There be a lot of water down there. I was on the Telephone Trail above Eaton Canyon on Sunday and the noise coming out of the canyon was awesome.