Movie: Backcountry

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean’s review of The Ranger got me looking around on Netflix for outdoorsy movies and last night I found this one.
The Wikipedia entry reads, “ Backcountry is a 2014 Canadian nature–survival horror film, written and directed by Adam MacDonald. It is loosely based on the true story of a man-eating bear and 30-year-olds Mark Jordan and Jacqueline Perry....”. It’s pretty low-budget, I think only four characters have speaking parts. The story follows a couple that go backpacking at the end of the season and encounter a bear that seems to follow them, sniffs around and finally attacks. The backpacking part looked like it was done with props from Walmart and whatever gear they could get donated, plus the couple goes off a poorly-marked trail to find a lake the man supposedly visited many times before. Anyway, they get lost and things go downhill from there. Some of the scenery was nice although the film effects diminished that part, instead relying on blurriness to create drama.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, those "outdoorsy" movies that were clearly written by noobz can be frustrating to watch, unless they have a hot chick or something.