Iron Mountain

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Not that one, I hiked the one in Poway.
Returning from one of my bi-monthly trips to TJ, I found a new peak to conquer. I'm doing this because sitting in traffic for more than three hours is not my idea of a good time. I let Siri give me directions to the trailhead, figuring I could stop along the way to change clothes and get some water, but neither happened. The parking lot is on Highway 67, fortunately it has a pit toilet so I got a little privacy while changing. However, I rounded up all the bottles I had with me and it totaled up to maybe 20 ounces of water, kind of pushing things for a warm afternoon on an exposed trail. I figured I could turn around if necessary, but I made the summit while only taking a few sips of precious liquid, which left me plenty on the way down. While descending I did a bit of trail running, felt like halfway so let's call it a mile. The views from up here are much better than from neighboring Mt Woodson, since this peak does not have a bunch of electronic equipment in the way. It also has a sight tube and one of those novelty telescopes, no quarter required for taking a peek. Considering it has a dedicated parking lot, it's a really popular trail and from my reading there are quite a few helicopter evacuations taking place each year. With the total length just three miles each way, I don't see how that would happen - I'm just reporting what I read on the webz.
Time up - 1:01, time down - :42 which makes me question the three miles since that would be a pretty good pace for uphill. Anyway, a fun diversion on the way home.

IMG_5214.JPG
Trailhead was an Eagle Scout project.

IMG_5215.JPG
The only shade to be found is right at the beginning.

IMG_5217.JPG
Markers are posted every half mile along the way. Iron is the tall peak here.

IMG_5223.JPG
Just about halfway is the helicopter landing area.

IMG_5234.JPG
Getting closer, Woodson coming into view.

IMG_5238.JPG
Summit area. I looked in vain for a benchmark.

IMG_5241.JPG
Parking area center, intersection of Hwy 67 and Poway Road.

IMG_5252.jpg
Viewing tube has lots of landmarks, few were visible on this day.

IMG_5273.jpg
Posing with Woodson in the background.

Iron Mountain Poway.png
AllTrails data for the route.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Iron is super popular even on weekdays. In your picture with Woodson, you can see two peaks between Iron and Woodson. The lower one is Mt. Ellie and the higher one with boulders in North Iron Mountain. Now, if you want a scary diversion on your next trip back, you can try North Iron. It has a 40-50' summit block and you need to climb a tree to get above the class 5 start. The unroped route was discovered by Bob Burd. I can give you lots of details of you are interested.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sounds a little fun although I usually hike alone so maybe not wise. The hanging around on rocks is usually that GirlHiker thing.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

That's right! Jeff. However, I may need a little lift from Cucamonga Man. That viewing tube looks really cool!
I like the summit area. It seems like a cool spot for lunch.