Ontario Peak, 20 July

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
simonov

Post by simonov »

SCTA trials are this weekend, but since it's going to be so hot out in the Mojave, I decided I'd rather go to the mountains.

So I am going to Ontario Peak via Icehouse Saddle on Sunday, leaving at 6:00am to beat the heat (actually, it's only supposed to be about 70 degrees). I've never been there before.

I'm going in any case, but if anyone wants to come along let me know. I am a reasonably strong hiker for the uphills, but pretty slow going downhill, especially in my light trail "boots."
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

simonov wrote:So I am going to Ontario Peak via Icehouse Saddle on Sunday, leaving at 6:00am to beat the heat (actually, it's only supposed to be about 70 degrees). I've never been there before.

I'm going in any case, but if anyone wants to come along let me know. I am a reasonably strong hiker for the uphills, but pretty slow going downhill, especially in my light trail "boots."
My current plan is to go up Icehouse Canyon that day too, although I won't be going to Ontario again (was there last month). If things go as planned I'll be starting around 6a too so might see ya there.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Be sure to sample the llama enriched unfiltered rusty pipe water at Kelly Camp! Maybe you can get to experience the dry heaves like that girl did south of Gorgonio when she drank outta that stream! Yummy yum!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I saw that the woman who was lost on San G got the dry heaves. I somehow doubt it was from the water though. What would cause heaves so quickly? Certainly not giardia which takes a few days and usually speeds things out the other end, not vomiting. Perhaps if there were some emetic chemical present in the water, but I've not heard of that being in any San G area water. I wonder if she just did it on a really empty stomach and perhaps overdid it or something. The water's pretty good around here. I continue to drink unfiltered water (in spots where there's no upsteam human activity) with no ill effects.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I saw that the woman who was lost on San G got the dry heaves. I somehow doubt it was from the water though. What would cause heaves so quickly?
I think she was frightened and suffering from exhaustion and maybe other physical problems related to her ordeal. Had nothing to do with the water.

This was a woman who claimed she saw a monkey on San G, after all.
Nunc est bibendum