Gold Mine Near Icehouse Saddle

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Here's an old mine that's close to Icehouse Saddle. I'm trying to research it, but haven't found a name so far.

This first mining in Icehouse Canyon happened back in 1892, so this mine probably dates back to that time period.

Outside the lower portal there's a old cable, probably used to hoist a mine cart out.

The mine starts with an easy butt crawl into a 40 foot incline tunnel. Halfway through a side tunnel takes you into a larger cavity.

From there the mine forks in three directions. The left is the main, the center goes in 20 feet, the right has been filled in (seen below)

This is the main fork. It terminates at a thirty foot shaft.

A few old hand hewn timbers are still bracing the ceiling

Looking down a shaft at the end of the main tunnel. You can actually climb down it. At the bottom there's a short inlet to the left.

Back on the outside there's a second mine, thirty feet above.

Inside the upper portal. There are a few good sized chunks of copper ore up there.

Copper ore sample in the upper mine.

Icehouse Canyon is one of the best hikes near Baldy. From the saddle you can branch out in several different directions.

One of many cabins destroyed by the flood of 1938. There were originally 105 of them leased by the forest service for 99 years.

In the spring there's usually a lot of snow remaining in the canyon. It's named after an icehouse that was built back in 1869.

On the day I visited the mine I was lucky enough to see my second Skilton's Skink, though I only got a blurry photo of it.

I took this back in 2016. I was resting on a log near the saddle when a mountain lion bolted out across a snowfield below me. Only the second one I've ever seen.

During Prohibition Mt. Baldy was a much bigger resort, where you could drink freely and cops would leave you alone.

I just found a very difficult to reach mine down in Baldy Creek which I'll be posting on my website in the next month.
I don't want these mines to get trashed, so I won't give locations on this forum, but if you want to know where the mine above is just private message me.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Wow! Very cool report. I am very interested in the mine. Where do you branch off from main Ice House Canyon trail to see it? I've hiked that trail many times and didn't know one existed. Also, cool shot of the Skilton's Skink. I saw one of these for the very first time in Big Bear a few months back on the Gray's Peak Trail and didn't know what it was. It took off so quickly that I couldn't get a picture of it.
Thanks for the info.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Take the middle trail towards Cucamonga Peak for about ten minutes. You can't miss it.
dima

Post by dima »

Yeah, I was going to ask. There's an obvious hole in the ground on the right, next to the trail. I've never tried going in. Is that it?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

That's the one
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Oh yeah I remember, I've seen it. I also remember trying to go inside the one on the bottom and it stunk as hell!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've never heard of a skink, that's pretty cool.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
jeko1034
Supercaff

Post by jeko1034 »

The real name of the mine is the Lytle Creek Mine. https://mrdata.usgs.gov/mrds/show-mrds. ... d=10189154
Just explored it yesterday. There was a cute chipmunk living inside! There are three adits. One next to the trail, one above that, and another one above that. Have fun exploring!
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Hey thanks very much Jeko. I had a feeling there might be another one up above. Great to finally get an ID on that mine.