Winston ridge 6/17/18

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Figured it was about time to go the prized ridge to check out the scenery. Nothing new to report on the ridge itself. Its a pretty good NHPS hike all around.
My intent was to check out a corridor on the north side, so thats what I set out to do. But before I knew it I was distracted by this decomposing ridge to nowhere, and that ate up a lot of time.
It was windy about, which wasnt helping the high blood pressure descent of the exposed ridge. Luckily I hit a 40-50ft straight drop and was on the retreat.
Its just one of those places where risk swirled about, even though the holds are all 100%.

I got back to approaching the corridor, which was easier to do than I expected, given there was a 'trail'. However being that I was clumsy on this trip(forgot to bring the correct map, not to mention enough water), I descended to a point so I could gather more info on whether a rope was required to descend the corridor. I never did find out, but puts the odds at a rope being required 85-15. And since I had long known that the corridor ridge/top was not descendable, I retreated back to Winston. Following the trail back was a smooth move, as it stayed just below the crazy steep stuff.

tr3.jpg
trail to/fro the corridor approach.

tr5.jpg
upper portion of corridor. If it looks like one could just walk down from the top of the corridor wall, that is lies.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

North side? Where you looking? Route to 5846?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Uncle Rico wrote: North side? Where you looking? Route to 5846?
Corridor is east of 5846...the ridge to 5846 is the one I was on for a short distance.
Corridor.jpg
Photo where you can see 5846 down the crazy ridge and corridor on the right/middle of picture.
anarchist

Post by anarchist »

Was there just after Christmas. The top(south) of the "corridor" had the best rock of the whole corridor.

20171228_090912.jpg

We descended from Winston ridge directly north to the gully just west of the second or farther north "4". Found a close out section in the gully we were in. Poking around for a bypass we followed a faint game trail to the east. That led us to the base of the above picture (about where the "4"is) and a bypass gully around the close out. Close out gully probably goes without technical gear and is pictured below.

20180619_102525.jpg

While our plan had been to do some climbing there, it's kinda a bridge to far.