Strawberry Peak and Mount Lawlor from Colby Canyon – trip report and photos

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Yesterday I was looking for a shorter day trip to test out some new trail runners and a new running pack, and because I had evening plans that weren't compatible with a 10-12 hour day. Strawberry Peak has been on my list for a while and is well known for the scrambling approach on the west ridge. The peak is generally done from Colby Canyon to the west or Red Box to the east, I started at Colby Canyon because I figured there would be fewer people and it was the direct approach to going up the west ridge. I'll keep this one short because there are plenty of good trip reports out there already. Pretty sure I'm the last one on this forum to do Strawberry, but figured I'd post it here anyway for a conditions update!

The Colby Canyon trailhead is a small pullout just east of the Switzer Falls and picnic area entrance, luckily there was only one other car there since it was a weekday morning. The Colby Canyon trail climbs pretty steeply, but is in good condition, passing a few small pools with a low water flow in the lower section. Arriving at Josephine Saddle, the flying saucer looking water tank makes a great place to sit for a little break and appreciate the views to the north, east, and south. The use trail for the west ridge is well established at this point, beginning just past the saddle. It starts fairly steep as has some moderate scrambling in places, the only minor difficulty is stepping carefully on some of the crumbly rock. The middle section levels out and is easy. The ridge becomes increasingly brushy towards the final scramble. You'll probably get a few scratches, but it's not too bad. The last section is moderate class 3 scrambling up large and firm rock. It's enough work to be fun, but doesn't require any difficult moves and has a variety of lines you could follow up to the summit. At the summit I saw the only other people of the day, a couple who came up from Red Box. The summit has fantastic views in all directions, and plenty of open space to take a break and enjoy the mountains. Unfortunately the metal ammo can summit register is bent with the lid broken off, a collection of partial notebooks and loose pages were inside a damp plastic bag tucked inside and poorly protected.

I descended the trail that goes east and then turns south to Lawlor Saddle, it's a bit steep at the start but nothing difficult. From the saddle I took the minor but well established use trail up the western ridge to the summit of Lawlor, which is pretty flat and clear, with great views in all directions. There was a cairn and register, though the notebook inside the plastic food container was a bit damp. We need water resistant notebooks for registers! From there I descended the firebreak directly south. It was quite steep and a bit crowded with yucca, but made for a quick descent to the trail below, which I followed back to Lawlor Saddle. From there I took the trail that goes around Strawberry Peak to the north, passing through Strawberry Potrero (aka meadow, had to look that word up!). As I came around a bend I saw a bobcat coming up the trail about 50 feet away. It ducked into the bushes before I could get a picture, but it was very exciting because I haven't seen one in several years. The trail is a little washed out in a couple very short spots, but is otherwise in good condition and has a very mild slope. Strawberry Potrero is a nice area with trees and space for camping, and a little further west you get great views of the north rock face of Strawberry. Eventually the trail rejoins Josephine Saddle. I considered tagging Josephine Peak while I was there, but in the interest of time and having to get up early the next morning I decided to call it a day and head back down Colby Canyon to the trailhead.

Trip Stats: 14mi, 4h44m, 4100ft gain/loss.

Trash found and packed out: Surprisingly no balloons, but I did find an old pair of socks and a dog sweater, not sure how that gets lost!
headsizeburrito

Colby Canyon trailhead

strawlawlor01.jpg

Josephine Saddle looking east towards Strawberry Peak

strawlawlor02.jpg

Josephine Saddle looking southeast

strawlawlor03.jpg

Josephine Saddle looking north

strawlawlor04.jpg

Looking west towards Josephine Peak in the distance from the saddle

strawlawlor05.jpg

First steep section of west ridge of Strawberry, water tank at Josephine Saddle visible below

strawlawlor06.jpg

Brushy section before final scramble to Strawberry, a little overgrown but not actually as bad as it looks

strawlawlor07.jpg
headsizeburrito

Approaching final scramble to Strawbery

strawlawlor08.jpg

Strawberry summit register has seen better days

strawlawlor09.jpg

Looking towards Lawlor on the way down the east ridge of Strawberry

strawlawlor10.jpg

Some yucca are starting to send up stalks, this was along the use trail to the Lawlor summit

strawlawlor11.jpg

Lawlor summit with Mt Disappointment and San Gabriel Peak in the distance

strawlawlor12.jpg

A few flowers here and there along the way

strawlawlor13.jpg

A couple small pools and minor water flow in Colby Canyon near the trailhead

strawlawlor14.jpg

Trip stats

stats.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

Where are the photos of the dog sweater?
headsizeburrito

I forgot the most import part of the trip report!

dogsweater.jpg