Upper Cucamonga Canyon exploration - trip report and photos

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

After doing and researching other trips in the area over the last couple weeks, Cucamonga Canyon caught my eye on the map. The south end has been closed for the last year, but I didn't find a renewal order, so supposedly the closure ended the day I was going to be up there (4/12). I didn't want to risk getting there and finding it had been extended, and was unsure of the parking situation, so I decided to park at Icehouse Canyon and approach from the north to avoid the closure area entirely as I had no expectation of making it far enough south to reach that section anyway. I found Brennen's report on Upper Cucamonga Canyon and figured I'd just head down and see how far I could get without gear. I wasn't sure about the possibility of bypasses but figured I'd check it out, I was hoping something would be viable and he just wasn't looking since he didn't need to. I didn't find any other useful reports on the canyon, but didn't look that hard, so there are probably more out there. I knew the first real falls was going to be impassable, but from the map I was hoping I could get up and over the canyon wall to the south and find a way down the other side past the falls. If I managed to pull that off I wanted to check see how much further I could get and scout a possible route to Ontario Peak from that side while I was there.

Icehouse Canyon is Icehouse Canyon, I had an uneventful but pleasant trip to the saddle. I've been to Ontario/Bighorn and Baldy/Three T's a decent number of times from there, but never taken the trail towards Cucamonga Peak from the saddle before. From there it's a short trip to the next saddle (7654') at the top of Cucamonga Canyon and right before the switchbacks for Cucamonga Peak. The canyon starts out quite broad, with mixed vegetation and small rocks, plus nice views of the southern face of Bighorn Peak. As you descend further, the small shrubby vegetation thins out, more trees appear, and it becomes rockier. It's still easy to navigate, but there is no hint of any trail, so it's a matter of finding a good line on rocky soil and small boulder hopping. The canyon gradually narrows, and water emerged for a short bit before disappearing again. At about 5600' you approach a bend and the walls get significantly narrower. The terrain becomes increasingly rocky and boulder strewn, and deciduous trees start taking over as a steady flow of water emerges again. It's still pretty easy to descend, but requires constant boulder hopping and stream crossing, The vegetation isn't super thick, but definitely requires some effort to get through in places, with frequent deadfall. I did notice a couple small cairns along the way for some reason, not sure why since there is really only one way to go. I didn't see any other signs of visitation like the campfire rings Brennen mentions as being further down the canyon.

Just as Brennen reported, I hit the first falls of any significance right about 4600'. There were a couple very minor ones (5' or so) before then, but those were easy dodged. At this point however, the canyon is extremely narrow, with only two options. One is the 15' falls on the left, the other is a slot with a 10' drop to the right, with a couple very large boulders dividing the two. I wasn't in the mood to go swimming on the left, and while I thought I could get down the slot on the right safely, the drop was nearly vertical with smooth rock to either side, so I didn't think I'd be able to get back up. You can get partway down the falls under the boulder that divides the two paths and have a slope and smaller drop, but it was obviously wet and would be too slippery to get back up it.

From here I backtracked a little and scrambled up the moderately steep side of the south wall to get a better view and have some lunch (a burrito). I was hoping to get a glimpse of the big falls just past the 15' one, but the canyon is too narrow at that point to see into, with trees below me further blocking the view. I spent a few minutes looking around to see if there was a reasonable way to go over the bump I was on and continue south while descending back into the canyon, but the immediate area is quite steep and loose, so it didn't look safe to try and go down there. A much longer bypass going up the ridge that makes up the south wall of the canyon, crossing the next drainage to the east, and then taking the next minor ridge southwest all the way back down into the canyon might be possible, but probably very sketchy, and my visibility was limited. At a minimum it would be extremely time consuming to even attempt, so I decided this would be my turnaround point for the canyon. My secondary goal of getting a good view of potential routes up to Ontario was foiled by a thick cloud layer in the canyon at around 5500'.

The trip back up went smoothly, and I was happy to manage to keep my feet dry the whole time. Back up at the saddle I still had plenty of time, so I took a quick side trip to Cucamonga Peak since I've only ever done it from Joe Elliot trailhead or from Deer Canyon last week. The clouds cleared up by early afternoon, so the switchbacks provided me with many great views towards Ontario and Bighorn, as well as Baldy and the Three T's further out. After a quick stop at the summit for a snack and to dump excess water, the trip back down was quick and easy.

Overall the section of the canyon I did manage to see was pleasant, but not as scenic as some others I've been in recently such as West Fork Bear Creek on my way to West Mermaid. Obviously I didn't make it to the best parts! I'd like to check it out again from below at some point, though it isn't a high priority.

Trip stats: 18.4mi, 11h26m, 7300' gain/loss.

Trash found and packed out: 11 mylar balloons from the canyon, two beer cans near the saddle before Cucamonga Peak, a random section of aluminum tubing from somewhere along the canyon, a decades old tin can.
headsizeburrito

Looking back at the Cucamonga saddle as I start descending the canyon

cucacan01.jpg

Terrain gets rockier as you go further down, this is looking back at a nice view of the slope below Bighorn

cucacan02.jpg

First water emergence a little further along

cucacan03.jpg

I just liked this tree...

cucacan04.jpg

Vegetation changes, canyon narrows, water flow becomes steady

cucacan05.jpg

A nice little fall over some boulders

cucacan06.jpg
headsizeburrito

The 15' falls that stopped me at 4600' in the canyon

cucacan07.jpg

Looking down into the canyon just past the 15' falls, can't see much and too steep and loose to try and descend

cucacan08.jpg

Nice summit view towards Baldy after my detour to Cucamonga Peak

cucacan09.jpg

GPS track showing the section of the canyon I was in

cucacan10.jpg

Overall trip

Cucamonga-Canyon-exploratio.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the details. Do you think with a bit of rope you could manage the 10' slot? Was there a good anchor nearby?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cool exploration. I never considered that canyon as a destination. The pictures look great, but it probably has more than the photos are showing.
headsizeburrito

Sean wrote: Do you think with a bit of rope you could manage the 10' slot? Was there a good anchor nearby?
I swear I didn't this many pictures of the whole trip, just this section! This picture is from a smaller drop right before that spot, the boulder directly behind the trees divides the falls to the left and the slot to the right. I have zero experience with canyoneering and can't be trusted to judge or set up a safe anchor, but maybe the largest of the trees or even a big loop around the boulder itself?

cucacanfirstfalls.jpg

Looking at the slot on the right side

cucacanfirstfalls02.jpg

Looking straight down the slot, not a big drop but has a conveniently located puddle, and smooth sides. The crack between the white boulder and either side might be enough for a competent climber to get back up, but I wasn't in the mood to risk it.

cucacanfirstfalls03.jpg

The middle dividing boulder does create a cool little cave underneath, and gives a side view of the falls

cucacanfirstfalls04.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

headsizeburrito wrote: ... maybe the largest of the trees or even a big loop around the boulder itself?
Yeah, the trouble though is creating a super stable setup that will get you back up the slot if absolutely necessary. Lots of factors to consider. You might need a rope ladder. I'd also see about using that log, either lean it against the slot as a climbing aid or wedge it above the slot for a backup anchor. Maybe the actual canyoneers here have better ideas. In general, though, I'd say don't go down this canyon without full rappelling gear and skills per Brennen's advice. This sort of obstacle can be way more dangerous than most people realize.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Went down Cucamonga from the saddle back in '87. Stopped by the falls and a snowstorm. Ended up leaving by helicopter. Been wanting to go back and see if I can find the place my friend and I took shelter.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pat wrote: Went down Cucamonga from the saddle back in '87. Stopped by the falls and a snowstorm. Ended up leaving by helicopter. Been wanting to go back and see if I can find the place my friend and I took shelter.
? Shortest TR ever.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Pat wrote:Been wanting to go back and see if I can find the place my friend and I took shelter.
How big was the tree trunk? It might be rotted away by now.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Unless I know you, I guess that was a little Google-fu on your part.

Big enough for 2 people to sit toboggan style, slightly hunched over. More than likely covered by debris.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Pat wrote:Unless I know you, I guess that was a little Google-fu on your part.
I don't think we've met.

And I'm very interested in survival stories. I once hid in a tree trunk, but that was to escape lightning strikes. Still not sure how wise it was.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

From the half a second I looked at the photo, you could probably build a bunch of solid anchors there.

I’ve wanted to do the whole canyon in one shot for a while now. Doubt I’ll get around to it, but it would be a fun trip. If I wasn’t so busy all the time I’d ask if anyone wanted to go. Would require a car shuttle.